i bivied outside once and woke up b/c i was getting chilly in my dreams. it was 9 degrees F (not sure the conversion to C) and my bag was a 15 degree bag. it was a long night.

i also grew up skiing vermont and can recall on more than one occasion the wind chill being in the -20 to -30 degree f range. that was some ridiculous skiing experiences.

i like the moniker -20.7, what's its reference

I was freezing one day at Nozawa this season, absolutley FREEZING and when I got home and wrote my log it said the wind chill was minus 24 or thereabouts. Damn it was cold.

Coldest its been in my house is minus 4. Not nice to wake up in the morning and see that on your alarm clock!

-20.7 welcome welcome wave.gif

About -30 c absolute, but it was blowing a force 8-9 gale at the time, putting the windchill around -60. A pleasant -5 in the snowcave, however (unfortunately, the toilet was outside in the -60, and me mate forgot the heated seat.

To be honest, though, the temperature is less important than the humidity I find. A dry -30 can be better than a damp 0.

OU do you remember that day 2 years ago at happo with Brett. Sking top to bottom powder. Hooking that snowgun that got buried. That was a good -15 or more. Man that was a ripping day. The only day I didnt bring the camera.

Alpine

I remeber in my younger more innocent days, I went on a skiing trip to Quebec, where I walked to the mall in jeans and just a sweater. It was about -20 or something. I was literally freezing to death.

Non Alpine

Worse still when I used to play fooball (soccer) on cold wet Staurday mornings in Wales, when the ground was frozen hard and I was dressed in a pair of shorts. Especially nice when it starts to rain down hail and somebody blasts the ball at your leg, which proceeds to turn blue and go numb. \:\(

You Southern Hemisphere types don't know how lucky you are.

OU I remember that the face masks were pulled to the top. The powder on the that steep pitch beside the Quad was just sick. thigh deep and no one sking it but us.

This year that first day at happo with the wind blowing hurt my face but again a great 2 days of powder.

It gets just as cold in the Southern Hemisphere as it does in the northern hemisphere Mr. Matthews lol.gif but We Matts should stick together so I guess I have to agree with Mr Matthews just because we share the best name in the world.

Maybe not the Continental Cold like in Russia or Northwest Territories but equally cold.

• 2 weeks later...

been at -40 in Wisconsin, I only remember it becuase -40 is the same Farenheight and Celcius. The water pipes under our street froze and broke. There were guys out there all day trying to fix them - I felt so sorry for those guys - working with water in the blistering blistering cold.

Where: Labradour City Canada (Spelling may be off)

Temp: -35 with wind chill -80

I am dead serious. I was there for the Nationals. (Cross country) You are not allowed to race when it is colder than -20 because of possible lung damage so we were a bit worried. After a few days it warmed up to -19. What a relief.

chris.

Sorry one more post. I forgot about my most glamorous moment in the cold. The Canadain ski marathon. It is a two day race and you have to caryy all of your stuff on your back. It was -27 at night sleeping under the stars in just a sleeping bag. Frozen boots in the morning. After a day of eating mostly hot soup and granola my intestines weren`t doing so well. I had a major accident in the outhouse. Let me tell you when it is in the -20s shit freezes instantly. For eight hours I had to ski with it frozen all ofver my gloves. Thank god I was able to wipe it off my back.

Chris

i can only claim down to about -10.

although it does get hot in perth. 46.2 in 1991...

but i reckon its hard to tell the difference when it gets over 40... between about 10-40 degrees at home where i am familiar with the humidity, i can usually guess the temp to within a degree (or sometimes two). and i was getting pretty good this winter between 0 and 10. but below 0 i would suggest temperature is measured by the number of superlatives u add to farkin cold.

can u really tell the difference between -15 and -20???

Although the night in question probably didn't even get below freezing, I did spend a very uncomfortable night with Her Majesty's armed forces on a moor in Yorkshire with just a sleeping bag designed for your standard 5 ft squaddie. The constant effort of trying to cram my 6 ft into the 5ft space didn't seem to keep me any warmer. It was a real relief when a night attack came through and I could jump up and fire some blanks off.