Big pre-season discounts? Is this a new thing or are we in new terrority?

I think you haven't really looked at prices in awhile CB nor probably ever stayed in one of those 'luxury' apartments/houses. Truth is in most places, excepting the real upper end, the price per person per night is often less or little more than the hotels. Sure breakfast is not included but the quality of the accommodation can hardly be compared.

A typical small Japanese hotel room or your own house with open plan kitchen/dining and living areas, separate entertainment room for the kids, ensuite bathrooms off all bedrooms, proper western sized baths, tv's in each bedroom, etc, etc. And hell I'm not even describing the real upper end...

For practically the same price per person I know where I'd prefer to stay...my 4 season tent of course! razz

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love staying in hotels - but not when we are going skiing for more than a week.

I have done the hotel room with included breakfast and dinner and a communal drying room ... it was OK.

I have done the budget 6 people in a room smaller than my bedroom at home (bunk bed/double bed and fold out double couch - no floor space left) - that was awesome coz it was last minute, just 3 nights and we had some laughs ... but I wouldnt be repeating it in a hurry!

I have done a luxury apartment with a communal drying room/laundry etc - that was excellent.

But by far the best has been an apartment (luxury or less so doesnt really matter) with its own drying room and laundry. It is like being at home. You can run a load of laundry at midnight if you want...and you can strip off your layers in the drying room and head for the bathtub without worrying about 'looking decent'.

With a family, with kids who wanna watch movies at night, or play board games. .. Travelling with friends who all wanna come over to one apartment for drinks until 2am. There is no comparision. APARTMENT wins.

Mamabear, have you tried "chalet" style accommodation. It's very popular with Brits in France and Switzerland.

You have your own room of course but you share the lounge and dine together with the other guests at the same table. Dinner takes about 2-3 hours!

Yes I have Stem.

We stayed at an awesome place in Falls Creek like that...in fact the owners there were talking to us about opening in Hakuba last season...wonder if they did?

We had a great time that trip - and they had the most excellent set up with boot dryers in the drying room - fabo prongs that stuck out of the wall that you popped your boots on sort of upside down, and the warm air came out of the ends. A whole wall of them! Only trouble was when we came in (as it was getting dark-dirty great snow hogs we are!) they were always FULL! Lots of the other guests had thier ugg boots, walking shoes and sneakers on them as well as thier ski/board boots. Grrr! Needless to say I removed those walking shoes (checked that they were dry first) and made sure our snowboard boots got on there!

We really enjoyed it. But defo prefer self contained apartments - just coz you can deal with your family the way you want to without having to think about other people all the time. If the kids want to have a late night watching comedy movies laughing thier heads off they can - it is not gonna disturb the people in the next room who want to get first tracks...

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I think you haven't really looked at prices in awhile CB nor probably ever stayed in one of those 'luxury' apartments/houses. Truth is in most places, excepting the real upper end, the price per person per night is often less or little more than the hotels. Sure breakfast is not included but the quality of the accommodation can hardly be compared.
A typical small Japanese hotel room or your own house with open plan kitchen/dining and living areas, separate entertainment room for the kids, ensuite bathrooms off all bedrooms, proper western sized baths, tv's in each bedroom, etc, etc. And hell I'm not even describing the real upper end...
For practically the same price per person I know where I'd prefer to stay...my 4 season tent of course! razz

I have stayed at one of them GN - it was nice and big, but I didnt think it was all that...youre right though, prices might have come down since the last time I checked those places out.

4 season tent lol

I dont spend much time in the room, so maybe thats just a personal thing, I couldnt imagine wasting money on something I wasnt using - nor do I have kids; but, a tent might be just the thing for them biggrin

CB I know what you're saying, when I first started coming here I didn't stay in luxury apartments myself (well there weren't any back then anyway) as when I'm on a ski trip it's all about the skiing and the place I'm staying just needs a bed and I'm pretty happy. Thankfully not everyone thinks that way or I wouldn't have a job!

Longest single ski trip I ever spent in a tent was 16 days out on the Main Range in Aus. Damn that was one heavy backpack on the ski out to our base camp! And damn did I stink after 16 days without a proper wash!! lol

There's that point of difference I reckon... KIDS!

Kids changes everything.

The last time Papa and I did a parents getaway we stayed at a hotel opposite the lifts - convenient. One room was plenty coz it was just the two of us, and most often were not in the room even after the days riding - we were out to dinner, or at a bar. Would have been stupid to have had an apartment for us in that circumstance really.

However when you are catering for kids, and perhaps putting them to bed at 8.30 and wanting to have a few drinks with your partner or your fellow travel companions after that - an apartment works incredibly well.

Not always fun with the kids.

Not always fun with a huge group (misery of getting a booking)

However we probably eat out more than 50% of our 3 week stay - it is just we have to option NOT to.

I not into hotel foods either.. or restaurant food when the serving is small.

In general, I cook better than most chefs so I like self catering . Except Japanese food. It takes a lot of prep and lots of washing up afterwards and in Japan we like to eat Japanese.

If it's self catering, I'd like to have a oven and dishwasher. And gas if I'm cooking Chinese.

When we find a pension that caters great evening meals, it's like "let's come here again and spoil ourselves" Often in Austria it takes so long to get a plate after you order ...