Big pre-season discounts? Is this a new thing or are we in new terrority?

GoNative, I'll start to shop around for bookings soon. Can u PM me info for where u work? I'll check out other places of course, but all things being equal it'd be cool to help out a fellow SJer.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
The price war winds are blowing through all of Japan. Just look at the local supermarket and check the price of bread.

yeah I've noticed that, bread is down to 98 yen in Daiei and has been for the past 2 months or so....great. More discounts please!! clap

With such an early push for sales and discounts Im not surprised that bookings would be up.

As far as best snow in Japan Shiga is still ranked higher and Cortina still averages more snow. insert wink

Not everyone is doing well.

I know someone who has a place and says that bookings so far this year are well down on normal. He's frankly a bit worried but I just tell him that the last few years things were probably just a bit too good and give him a slap

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
With such an early push for sales and discounts Im not surprised that bookings would be up.

I wouldn't say bookings are up at all, just about where we expected them to be at this time.
Plus the early push didn't work quite as well as hoped for a number of businesses because so many of the major Aussie agents held off this year on promoting Japan until much later than in previous years. I know at least one major wholesaler hasn't even released their Japan brochure yet!
I know a number of them are planning a big push on Japan in August as Aus/NZ ski bookings die down.
So we have been happy to be where we are currently considering the above. Hopefully as some of the big players come fully on board things will really pick up.

There is certainly a lot of chat in the lift queues, on the chairs and in the bars about Japan here at Thredbo this week. Had a few people chatting to me about it...of course my recommendation was GO!

I hear bookings in general are down for Zao again this year.

People just are not spending or committing to spending their money.

Perhaps if we see brigher news in second half of year maybe fall month suddenly see better news.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Off topic but you back now Mamabear?

Heading home tomorrow Muika :-)
Have had a blast.
Stacked it on the runs once (and that was today - it wasnt the whole yard sale - no injuries), and had about 3 lift exit fails, cut off by a child skier once, caught an edge on a traffic cone that was out of alignment once and got pushed by Papa once (he denies it though).

Will upload some pic's Monday as we wont be home until Sunday late night.

He's not saying! wink

BTW, after these early bird discounts are over, will we go back to the normal price or will it perhaps be a never-ending "Sale" like most shops have here in the UK?

Quote:
Hotel hell is just beginning as consumers and corporations alike remain in belt-tightening mode, and no recovery in jobs is on the horizon.

That's from Mish, one of the most read economics blogs on the Net. One of the others, Calculated Risk, is full of charts showing big falls in occupancy rates in the USA. That usually spells big discounts.

Japan's ski resorts aren't in the USA and are gaining international attention from relative obscurity, so maybe the above doesn't matter so much. At least not for the *genuinely* better places anyway.

Read something similar today in the papers here (UK).

I am just about starting to consider a trip to Japan. It's looking expensive though. I hear the exchange is about 25% worse for me than it was just a year ago. That 25% would make a considerable difference - one between a go or not.

puhwash - contrary to the belief of some the exchange rate a year ago was ridiculous (in our favour but nonetheless ridiculous) - I dont beleive it could be maintained.

The current rates while a little below where we would like them to be are a more normal in my experience - dont compare to the 'blip' or you will never come!

You are right...

Aussie Dollar to the Yen over the past 10 yrs has basically gone from a low of 56 in late 2000 on a gradual increase (with blips up and down) up to the highs of 108 in late 2007 and 103 in mid 2008. A massive crash down to the high 50's in just a matter of 3 months after that high of 103 has been followed by steady recovery to high 70's currently - about the same as 2004/2005 rates.

As for the UK comparison:

apart from the total tanking from August 2008 - Feb 2009 the rate was only ever as low as it is today for the Brits in September 2000.

You guys certainly are worse off than the Aussies when exchanging currency into Yen.

Some believe that the UK pound has no basis for it to be that strong in the past,

and is where it's supposed to be now. I reckon so , too. Should be equal to the Euro.

As for the AUD, it seems to me it's calculated to keep it low.

Should be 90 IMO

Bookings have been going crazy this week! Sold over 1,400 nights so far this week and tomorrow should be huge being the last day of the 25% discount offer. Think we'll still be in business after this winter razz