We took a driving trip of Central Hokkaido from July 4 to 11, taking in Biei, Furano, Asahidake, Otaru and Sapporo.

From a hectic city, taking time out in the countryside was so refreshing. It reminded me how to relax and just take the countryside at it's own pace. Tranquility can be so pleasant.

The weather was a nice warm 25, hitting 32 on one day. Sun all the way.

Here are some landscapes and colours that masde this trip.

Farm cottage that we stayed at while in Biei

thursday_80.JPG

thursday_79.JPG

thursday_88.jpg

thursday_81.JPG

Biei

thursday_72.JPG

thursday_77.jpg

thursday_76.JPG

thursday_74.JPG

thursday_75.JPG

thursday_73.JPG

Nice shots thursday! Staying at that farmhouse sounds like fun. The last time I was in the area, I stayed at the little pension below the nature center at the Asahidake ropeway base (on the other side of the street). Nothing like the kind of quiet at night and in the mornings out that way.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Very nice. Did you go up to the top of the mountain?

I thought the ride up on the ropeway would take me to the top. But alas, it was another 3 hour hike up. Didn't have the inclination at the time with pushchair and baby and all.

It was 29 at the base and 16 at the top station. The sun at top made it feel more like 30. Most of the hikers wore too much I thought.

I've done the hike and it's more like only 2 hours up. The other side of the mountains (the east side) also hold a lot more snow than the western faces in your photos. Some pretty big snow drifts last all year up there.

Pretty photos.

From reading the landscape there, it looks like the farms in Biei are much much bigger than in other parts of Japan, where land is divided into tiny parcels. I wonder how and why that has come about.

All these beautiful photo's of Japan in Summer I am thinking I may have to make a summer trip to check it out. As I remember Japan is also very pretty in Autumn as well.

ME THINKS JAPAN IS A VERY PICTURESQUE COUNTRY all year round confused

I find that there it is often really hazy in late spring/summer.

Those crisp, blue sky white snow mad contrast winter days are unbeatable. Autumn is beautiful, spring is pretty but doesn't last long enough before that haze sets in. Rainy season is miserable, summers are just way too hot and uncomfortable.