Hey all,

wondering what everyone does for photos in the snow, i want to take my Digital video camera out but i dont like risking getting it wet.... i had a loook at a site that offered somthing like this...

titel_0_0.gif

which is not to expensive but can crack under cold temps....

Has anyone got any ideas/suggestions/expericance about this?

Cheers! \:\)

For snowsports, just get a plastic bag, cut a hole and stick a filter in it. Screw the filter onto camera, there you have it... a snowproof case for a camera!

(it's not like you need the camera to be waterproof, just enough to protect it from a bit of melt.

Alternatively, most pro cameras are weatherproof enough already for snowsports, made to handle drizzle, at least.)

hey miteyak, yeah i tried that when we were in japan but i seemed to spend more time fiddling to keep it on then i did filming!

Have you seen/heard of somthing made outta wetsuit material? when we were in japan this dude had a camera with a wetsuit covering on it... looked pretty sturdy but i havent seen or heard of it since...?

mmm...

I bring mine everywhere during the ski season. I never use a cover. I dont flim in the rain, I dont think many people flim in a downpour.

I do have a hard make up case that I use to keep it protected. I have had it get wet but the camera tells me when its wet and it doesnt let me use it anymore. I have to dry it out.

Fattwins, yeah mine does the same, as soon as it goes from cold cold to even cold it gets a moister build up and i have to open when the tape goes in and leave it over night to dry out....

mmm....

the snow here can get pretty slussy, so i dont know i might have to make somthing again..?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh5.sph/FrameWork.class

Check the above link, lots of types there, but maybe the same as you have now.

Haven't had experience with the case you're worried about cracking, but, to be honest, if it's cold enough to crack the case, the conditions should be cold enough not to need one. Get the above case, use it in the slush, and when you get the -20's, go without the case \:\)

SBF, I have used a panasonic plastic like cover that my hand fit in like a glove and protected the camera from falling snow etc. It wasnt sealed like the picture that you provided, but the plastic eventually cracked on a very very cold day. now they make covers out of what looks like wetsuit rubber which i think would really work well because 1. it keeps the cold off you camera and gives extra life to the battery & 2. it also covers your hand (that you don't have a glove on thus saving frostbite!)

This year I made one as someone mentioned out of a big GLAD snaplock bag. Just to keep it dry. I wrap it in a towel in my backpack for protection of the cam and my back during stacks.

Also have a water housing but would never use that because one fall and it would be in pieces!

good luck!

I have used my Sony Handy Cam for 5 years, and it finally broke (Tele/wide swith no longer works). I used it only with a soft case, and just hang around my neck. When I filmed it, took it out the case and shot without any cover. Two problems:

1. condensation while wearing it, and in a cafe. at lunch time. But the camera lasted 5 years.

2. Batt. life. I put hot pads over the battery, it worked OK.

I use the new one the same way, but this time, I made a case with insulation (you know the sivery kind at 100 yen shop) so that the heat from the hot pad will be trapped inside.

IM, do the case you made do u take it out to film or is it a somthing like the panasonic one above?

That panasonic one is only avaliable in japan i called panasonic today and they were a bunch of loosers about it couldnt tell me a thing!

im going to buy some wetsuit material i think and give it a bash doing it myself?

mmm...