so i cancelled my summer plans in xchange for bigger and better funs next year, hence i got another week of hol time back on the cards. this will now move to the winter season, and because i dont like to give my boss any reason for refusing my requests, i will submit it soon.

so when is a good week for for heading hokwards? last week o' jan? any weather tips for niseko? r any of u guys planning play times already? i gotta play this right, cos i dont wanna go solo.

I'm planning a month up there mika. Last time we were there for the last 2 weeks of Jan and had a blast.

I thinking of heading up for the last two weeks of Jan and the first two weeks of Feb.

The last week of Jan should a pretty safe time to go snow wise.

I was alsi thinking of going up for all of Feb instead so that i can go to the Big Day Out here in Sydney. But it think i'd rather spend the two weeks at the end of Jan than Feb.

New year is good, but a lot of people. Also any long weekend in Jan Feb are crowded. But I really like the Pre new year timing 12/25~ 29. Good snow, less people, much more relaxed.

JAL/JAS have the birthday thing and lots of other waribikis. I've seen their website but it's too complicated to summarise in a few sentences. ANA's seems to be any flight during a set period with booking being limited to a mad rush period a few weeks beforehand.

It's 10,000 one way. Shorter flights like Naha to the outlying Okinawan islands are 7,000 one way.

If you're not going there alone, there are cheap packages to Niseko from the major cities, You may not save very much, if at all, by arranging everything yourself.

I hesitated to say it because of extra costs and "the crowds", but IM's right about New Year. There have been large snowfalls in Hakuba the last three years over the holiday period. 01-02 season was especially mad.

I'd assumed it covered both ways, but NoFakie is a fact-checking sorta bloke, so you can prolly take it from him. Certainly ANA has info in English though.

What's the birthday deal then? It seems me and Saddam share an April birthday (I spec mine was more enjoyable than his this year), so if it's cheap travel on your birthday, it won't do me much good.

No Fakie is right the 01/02 season was mad nuts for powder. This year brought 2 well timed storms. On storm was only hovering around the Cortina area.

Niseko any week in jan or feb that doesnt have a long holiday involved.

I would say that anytime from dec 20th-27th is usually pretty damn good. We had knee-waist deep pow everyday this year and had the mountain almost all to ourselves.

And weather was much better than the other times like Jan & feb when i have been there, but no one can guess that.

It usally snows in LAte DEC everywhere alot. The Prob is the snow base might not be good. Thats why its such a hard choice. but if you take those weeks you will be really close to the winter holidays. So you could book a second trip to Hakuba or elsewhere. It would make a sick start to the season.

But it was not the case this past season when I went. I got no fresh snow and overall bad weather. I had thought that would be a pretty safe time to go but I guess I just had bad luck. \:\(

so i'll probly lay the play for the end of jan...cos i get the new years break and can head to noz or around at that time, and it'll be nice to split the game in two.

so i'll see all u likely sorts gettin down and dirty in the pure white stuff then.

• 4 weeks later...