Someone asked me that question and without being a bit biased I didn't know what a good answer would be - not enough experience.

How would you answer it? Location doesn't matter. I know it's a mad wide question, but people ask it. To humor them..

Whistler-Blackcomb is without doubt one of the great ski resorts in the world and is excellent for families. I only wish some of the brain dead Japanese resort managers would go take a look at what a successful ski resort can truly be like.

What's your definition of 'family' though....

what works for YOUNG families (little kiddies that need snowplay, playgrounds, babysitting and high chairs in resturants)...

does notn necessarily work for

families with pre-teens, teens and young adults in the family. They are keen on having 'cool' ski school experiences, ski club, games/nightclub style under age venues to hang out with others at etc.

I found I felt safer and more comfortable letting my children ride certain runs in Niseko where I would have been more concerned about them at Aussie resorts - perhaps because I could SEE them from the accomodation (somewhat). But alternate activities is definately something I would look for in a kid friendly resort. Pool, Ice Skating, Toboganning, Tubing, etc etc,

One of the Club Med's

As much or as little childcare as you like included in the price not to mention good quality kids lessons.

Sorry guys, it's like this ...

Italy because Italians are friendly and good to kids, the price is not so expensive compared to Swiss, and Austria because Austrians are cosmopolitan people who speaks English and are friendly... and there are kids runs, food on the mountain is convenient and yummy, swimming pools, etc. etc.

I've only started to discover Euro snow the last 2 years and there are lots to go. Pick anywhere really and do a web search.

I wouldnt say Cervinia (Italy) is particularly kid friendly - they served spag bol so that was a plus as far as my kids were concerned, but they were happy to get back over the mountain and into Switzerland.

The staff at Zermatt were fabulous and brilliant at accomodating kids (although the smoking in resturants all over Europe is a thumbsdown when it concerns kids). Ice rinks, movies, pool hall, internet cafe, toboganning, lots of shops, cafe's and resturants - and fun food that you are allowed to play with like fondue and raclette. smile

Yes Zermatt gets good points too, though when I went I found it to be especially expensive - perhaps the rates when I went were worse than usual. It's spectacular setting too is a good plus.

Originally Posted By: Hakuban
Extremely.

I would say Whistler really does have it all.
Want to go back.

Yep. I had my kids there for 2 weeks. I couldn't fault it, but I did have to spend a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

That is a lot.

Skiing ain't a cheap pastime - well as far as I know anyway. If I can afford to and am shelling out I'd rather shell that little bit more for the experience.

Anyhows how is the exchange rate for us yen-earners (Europe) right now? If it's as weak as the pound, might be worth a visit in winter.

• 1 month later...