If this is inappropriate feel free to delete it moderators peoples...I'm only asking because I'm getting frustrated looking myself.

I feel a little dirty asking this here, but where can I find equivalent sites like this for the United States and Canada? Or is this truly a unique experience?

I only ask because I think I may be heading to either destination in 2011 (got another trip to Japan at the start of 2010 - flights are so cheap!!! biggrin ) and would like to start my research as a large group of us is going for over a month.

The problem is every site I have dug up thus far either has a very questionable look about it, or is basically a p**n hosting service!

I figure because this is a such a multicultural community, and that a lot of us would have been to quite a few destinations, that someone would know? Admittedly the bulk of our community here are Japanese (der) British and Australian, so I may be fishing a little bit. I have asked on the tripadvisor forums as well but no one seems to care, or don't even know themselves.

I had such a good time in Hakuba this year and I feel I can directly attribute it to this forum and the people that helped me - but it may be pushing it to seek information about North America on here as well lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

- Matt.

If you ask for info here about Canada/USA I'm sure people will chip in. Here's an example. There are Canadians (like me) and Americans here too and others who have spent a lot of time there.

As far as the rest of the web is concerned..... The computer internet is over-rated. Don't bother. SJ is all you need. wink

I'm pretty sure that SJ will not want this to become some discussion of what they are and are not, but I have always thought this is quite a unique site/forums. Yes there's tons of ski sites out there, especially for the big destinations, but they are often either just basically promotional tools, run or backed by travel agents and/or full of tiresome attitude. An equivalent idea for other countries really is actually quite hard to find.

• SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: SKI
I'm pretty sure that SJ will not want this to become some discussion of what they are and are not

You are right! wink
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that SJ will not want this to become some discussion of what they are and are not, but I have always thought this is quite a unique site/forums. Yes there's tons of ski sites out there, especially for the big destinations, but they are often either just basically promotional tools, run or backed by travel agents and/or full of tiresome attitude. An equivalent idea for other countries really is actually quite hard to find.

That pretty much sums up my experience so far. One site seemed to just be a front for Miley Cyrus pictures! I guess the best I can do is just keep looking - but I may have to wait until I get home again as using a work PC may not be a good idea considering the places I am digging up lol. I'll be sure to read through that other post that was linked earlier on.

Fingers crossed I find something!

Mattaus - which part of the US/Canada were you thinking of? If it's the East Coast, I'd say fire away with questions, but I'm guessing you're looking out West.

As Creek Boy said, tgr is a great place for info. If you're a tele skiier then there's also a telemarktalk forum; if you're a new schooler then there's a newschoolers forum; if you're an epic skier then there's an epicski forum; etc etc.

But I reckon there's a few North Americans here on SJ that can give you a little advice and point you in the right direction as well.

Sorry I've taken so long to reply - my notifications don't appear to be working properly :(

Yeah my intitial research ahs lead me to believe that the west caost may be the way to go. I'm trying to avoid whistler as it's expensive and busy. A few suggested places that are topping my current list are Kicking Horse, Fernie and Red Mountain. As it stands we may hit Fernie for a week, Red for up to 2 weeks (OMG proper tree runs!) and then head into the US and go somewhere in Utah. Then pass through New York on our way out.

As much as going to Japan all the time would be excellent (cheap as chips flights and I really fell in love with the place when i was there) I want to see the world a bit more, and now that I'm hooked on snowboarding my options have gone through the roof.

I'm seriously jealous. Don't know if you guys are serious riders but those are definitely some serious mountains. Utah's obviously first-rate but I've never been there. I've spent a little time in the Canadian Rockies though. I'd say Fernie used to be under-rated but now it's over-rated, especially considering some of the other recent development. Red is small but one of the last best kept secrets. Kicking Horse rocks, by all accounts. I'd also try Revelstoke. It's kind of close to Kicking Horse and I've heard it's a better mountain than even Whistler. There are just a couple of lifts right now but they give you something like 6000 feet of vertical I think. - longest vert in N.America.

I can see why you might want to avoid Whistler. Whistler's amazing for sure but the West is full of really good mountains so you can still find great skiing at low-key resorts.

^^^ Am pretty jealous too.

Passing through NY may be your best bet, but if you're looking to do a little riding, Gore Mt is a good little hill. It will probably be a bit of a let down though after the West Coast.

I spent a whole season in revelstoke back in about '94 working for CMH Heliskiing. Was one of the best winters I've ever had. Great little town and some of the biggest snowfalls in Canada occur in that region.