Skiing versus jogging ? No contest...

The funny thing is that despite burning 600 cals + per hour for about 6 hours a day when I'm in Niseko for 4 days, I always come back having put on weight. Must be I overcompensate by stuffing my face at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

"I'll burn it off anyway"

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: skidaisuki
Skiing versus jogging ? No contest...

The funny thing is that despite burning 600 cals + per hour for about 6 hours a day when I'm in Niseko for 4 days, I always come back having put on weight. Must be I overcompensate by stuffing my face at breakfast, lunch and dinner.

"I'll burn it off anyway"

600 calories an hour for 6 hours!!, Skidaiski you are a machine.
Machines should not put on weight

Interval workouts are really good for skiing, either running, biking, or xcountry ski machines do the trick. 2 mins on, 2 mins off, try that for 40,50, or 60 mins. If you think about it, you dont ski for 5-10 mins straight, so I like the 2 on, 2 off workouts to get ready for ski season.

As for whats a better workout, Id say swimming hands down, but I like it because there is no impact on my body. The way I run or mtn bike, would prolly differ from others, so its how youre doing it, rather than what youre doing, which is prolly more important.

if you want a killer workout in 20-30 mins try crossfit dot com. You will have one of the hardest workouts of your life. So many workouts you can do in your house, hotel room, or in a park...doesnt cost you a cent to learn how to do them.

Originally Posted By: snowjunky
This is what the bike looks like

upright_1.jpg

Lots of different programs

Got something like that at the gym I go to. It sure does help keep you going with something to look at other than sweaty macho guys!
  • 1 month later...

An observation veryshocked

Got back recently from 2 weeks skiing in Oz.

Ski'd around 7 hours every day and came home feeling super fit.

The next day had a game of park cricket with the kids & found my legs felt like lead when trying to run (stumble actually)

Has anyone else found this?

Are the leg muscles used so different or is this just an old fart's complaint?

Good advise Rob.

Plenty of stretching before you play, and warm down IS important.

Helps using a ball that bounces a little more (I forgot which but it has dots on the ball to tell) if you are a beginner .

A little story for those that can remember their first time at the Gym

A Week at the Gym

Dear Diary:

For my fiftieth birthday this year, my wife (the dear) purchased a week of personal training at the local health club for me. Although I am still in great shape since playing on my school football team 30 yrs ago, I decided it would be a good idea to go ahead and give it a try.

Called the club and made my reservation with a personal trainer named Belinda, who identified herself as a 26 yr. old aerobics instructor and model for athletic clothing and swimwear. My wife seemed pleased with my enthusiasm to get started! The club encouraged me to keep a diary to chart my progress.

MONDAY:

Started my day at 6:00am.

Tough to get out of bed, but it was well worth it when I arrived at the health club to find Belinda waiting for me. She was something of a Greek goddess -- with blonde hair, dancing eyes and a dazzling white smile.

Woo Hoo!!!!!

Belinda gave me a tour and showed me the machines. She took my pulse after 5 minutes on the treadmill. She was alarmed that my pulse was so fast, but I attributed it to standing next to her in her Lycra aerobics outfit. I enjoyed watching the skillful way in which she conducted her aerobics class after my workout today.

Very inspiring, Belinda was encouraging as I did my sit-ups, although my gut was already aching from holding it in the whole time she was around. This is going to be a FANTASTIC week!!

TUESDAY:

I drank a whole pot of coffee, but I finally made it out the door. Belinda made me lie on my back and push a heavy iron bar into the air, and then she put weights on it! My legs were a little wobbly on the treadmill, but I made the full mile. Belinda's rewarding smile made it all worthwhile. I feel GREAT!! It's a whole new life for me.

WEDNESDAY:

The only way I can brush my teeth is by laying on the toothbrush on the counter and moving my mouth back and forth over it. I believe I have a hernia in both pectorals. Driving was OK as long as I didn't try to steer or stop. Belinda was impatient with me, insisting that my screams bothered other club members. Her voice is a little too perky for early in the morning and when she scolds, she gets this nasally whine that is VERY annoying.

My chest hurts when I got on the treadmill, so Belinda put me on the stair monster. Why the hell would anyone invent a machine to simulate an activity rendered obsolete by elevators? Belinda told me it would help me get in shape and enjoy life. She said some other shit too.

THURSDAY:

Belinda was waiting for me with her vampire-like teeth exposed as her thin, cruel lips were pulled back in a full snarl. I couldn't help being a half an hour late; it took me that long to tie my shoes. Belinda took me to work out with dumbbells. When she was not looking, I ran and hid in the men's room. She sent Lars to find me, then, as punishment, put me on the rowing machine -- which I sank.

FRIDAY:

I hate that bitch Belinda more than any human being

has ever hated any other human being in the history of the world. Stupid, skinny, anemic little cheerleader. If there were a part of my body I could move without unbearable pain, I would beat her with it. Belinda wanted me to work on my triceps. I don't have any triceps! And if you don't want dents in the floor, don't hand me the *&%#(#&**!!@*@ Barbells or anything that weighs more than a sandwich. (Which I am sure you learned in the sadist school you attended and graduated magna cum laude from.)

The treadmill flung me off and I landed on a health and nutrition teacher. Why couldn't it have been someone softer, like the drama coach or the choir director?

SATURDAY:

Belinda left a message on my answering machine

in her grating, shrilly voice wondering why I did not show up today. Just hearing her made me want to smash the machine with my planner. However, I lacked the strength to even use the TV remote and ended up catching eleven straight hours of the Weather Channel.

SUNDAY:

I'm having the Church van pick me up for services today so I can go and thank GOD that this week is over. I will also pray that next year, my wife (the witch), will choose a gift for me that is fun -- like a root canal or a vasectomy.

• 9 months later...