... in terms of calories used say for example an hour jogging vs an hour skiing. Which would (generally) use up the most calories and be the better workout? Lets say the skiing is what an intermediate skier might ski, vague as that is).

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often feel that skiing (unless of the most vigorous kind) doesn't use up a whole lot. An hour jog would wipe me out more than a day on the ski hill I reckon.

Originally Posted By: Ctrl-Z
... in terms of calories used say for example an hour jogging vs an hour skiing. Which would (generally) use up the most calories and be the better workout? Lets say the skiing is what an intermediate skier might ski, vague as that is).

No Contest........unless you were walking/skinning uphill

oohhhh I dunno - cant comment on skiing as I never have BUT....

- I reckon snowboarding and wakeboarding gives me the better whole of body workout...maybe wakeboarding more than snowboarding.

Jogging just jarrs my old knee's.

after a days riding I am ALWAYS knackered. I reckon its a good workout that you get for a full day, dunno how the hourly comparison would be though, who would run for a whole day?? Actually who would only ride for an hour!!!!??

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Only Go Native would run for a full day! wink

Yeah I wish! I once did a 24 hour rogaine in which we did around 65km with over 3000m of vertical up and down. Could barely walk for 3 days afterward...

jogging burns up about 1200 calories per hour

Skiing burns up about 600 calories per hour

based on someone weighing about 150lbs

We have a mountain bike at my gym with a programmable video game type screen.

One hour on the "alpine course" with some mean hills burns 1100 calories & lifts my heartrate up to a peak of 150'ish.

Trouble is I need someone to carry me down the stairs when I am finished!!

Yes it is good fun, the graphics are great with ski lifts, ropeways, chalets etc. It makes the time go quickly. The bike has gears & you actually have to steer the bike while pedalling - if you go over the edge or hit the wall you get a time penalty.They are linked to an internet program and you can save results & check your progress on line. There are over 40 different courses.

The gym owner told me they cost AUD$9000 each

it's a big workout for me but burns the calories allowing for mor good food & wine intake............"Life is too short for cheap wine & sandwiches"

There are plenty of easier courses with less vertical, plenty of flat track options also.

Originally Posted By: snowjunky
it's a big workout for me but burns the calories allowing for mor good food & wine intake............"Life is too short for cheap wine & sandwiches"

There are plenty of easier courses with less vertical, plenty of flat track options also.

naughty a sandwich doesn't have to be crap just because its cheap.....I've had some stellar sandwiches that I'd rather eat than expensive cuisine!! Sandwich making is a real artform!
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

naughty a sandwich doesn't have to be crap just because its cheap.....I've had some stellar sandwiches that I'd rather eat than expensive cuisine!! Sandwich making is a real artform!

Yeah, fair call Tubbs, those haggis sangers are ace. (laughs)

BTW how do you post emoticons? I can't seem to get the hang ot it

Go to the full reply screen.

On that page above the box you'll see a bunch of icons. The first one (of the smiley) is the one you click and they will appear.

Otherwise you can learn the codes - you'll see them when you put one in a post.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

Ditto for wine - most of the wine I've had/ am currently having comes in a box and is pretty decent at 700 yen per liter.

Back on topic though: reckon as snowjunky said, unless you're skinning or walking uphill, then jogging is the better workout. The downtime on lifts and waiting in line is probably what skews the data.