Japanese food that would be a real hit back home

OK so sushi and ramen seem to be making some inroads in the UK, you can even get rubbish sushi in Asda now!

But what about things like

- yakiniku

- tonkatsu

I'm sure they'd be real hits with many people if some decent ones opened up (and ones that didn't rip you off huge time).

Might even open my own in my dreams.

Any other good food ideas?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely snowbender.

Problem I can see would be price.

Like good sushi, I can see it being just mad crazy expensive.

Yakiniku and tonkatsu, we spoke about that when we were in Japan.

Would be very popular.

Japanese Curry shop

Dunno if that would be popular what with the UK having adopted Indian Curry as one of its own.

I've often thought about Yakiniku, it would be popular BUT I worry about the "maggot factor" at home. Where drunk idiots would be flinging half-cooked meat at each other, or trying to throw the coals about or set stuff on fire!! It would prob have to be expensive to discourage the "maggots" from going and I can just imagine people back home saying....

"eh??!! got to a restaurant and pay to cook our own food....WTF??!!"

Maybe I'm being harsh. Anyone who visits here I always take em to Yakiniku and they love it.

Ramen is crap in the UK....well I've only ever had it once to be far, from Wagamama's and it was shite. The soup was like dishwater and the noodles were like supernoodles.......

If its Britain, its going to end up pricey and poncey and not as nice. You'll get no dirty dive serving expensive but incredible yakitori or yakiniku like in Japan. Most of the best places are pretty small and grimy after all. I also bet hardly any British punters who go for the posh Japanese food in London etc. drink beer with the food. They'll all dress up and have to have some poncey wine, or maybe sake if they deem that to be the correct poncey wine substitute. You can take the food, but you can't take the culture.

I reckon pissheads (or stoners at Glasto etc) would love gyoza. Big juicy Osho sized budget ones. You can reel them into your shop from one hundred yards away. Just that smell! If you've got a craving for them, there is no substitute.

There's a Japanese restaurant in Liverpool, went there a few years ago. Not very good food and stupidly expensive prices. Everything things it's dead exotic though (and called me - ME - a snob for saying it was rubbish). wakaranai

Everyone I have visit me loves the food here, I'm sure if done well and sensibly it would be a big hit.

Dead exotic? What cuisine was it, or was it everything thrown onto the menu.

Those who dare open in a foreign country have to play to the masses. Hence you have anglicised versions which are toned down in case the taste is too intense or too different to try.

Take Sichuan cuisine for instance. It is so spicey that each type of spiciness goes to different parts of your taste spectrum. That would never go down well with fish n chip folk.

Originally Posted By: r45
Anko doughnuts.

I don't think so.....they aren't sweet enough. I've taken back some anko stuff and people were just like..."its mashed up beans in a doughnut!!!"

On that vein I can't wait to get my teeth into some high quality Jam Doughnuts!!!