• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ummm...no not really.

We are pretty much in the same time zone - variances for daylight savings and whether you are on the east or west coast of Australia. Much of the year Perth and Tokyo are at the exact same time zone - that means a LOT!

Flight times...leave Perth about midnight, get in to Tokyo about 8am. Seems pretty fabulous to me, when you consider Perth to New York which Papa and I were looking at doing in Nov [maybe not now we see how LONG its gonna take] is more than 24hrs...in some cases way more.

Originally Posted By: sparkzter
Hi folks!

7 of us coming over this January from central Scotland. We are staying in the black diamond lodge.
Anyone got any experience of it and what its like to stay there?

Cheers.

BD lodge is situated in Higashiyama so you're a long way from all the action in Hirafu (most of the night life). The owners though are great and it has a good atmosphere. If you're mainly there for the skiing/boarding then BD lodge will be great for you. If you were hoping for some exciting night life then not so good.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
when you consider Perth to New York which Papa and I were looking at doing in Nov [maybe not now we see how LONG its gonna take] is more than 24hrs...in some cases way more.

Wow I didn't think it would be so far.
How far is it to the west coast of the US from Aus?

22 hours and 45 minutes for me from Perth.

(but that does include Perth-Melbourne and an almost 5 hour stop in Melbourne...however that is what it takes for me, as opposed to Japan which is MUCH easier!)

The quickest I can get to JFK NY today would be:

29hrs and 45 minutes.

Perth-Melbourne via JetStar

Melbourne-LA via Qantas

LA - NY via Qantas (assume code share with AA)

hahaha

Maybe because it is 'one of the most remote cities on the planet'.

Reality for me is I was born here. My family are all here. We are close. And until I discovered frosty white flakes that fall from the sky --- I never had considered moving a viable option.

Nice city and all but I just couldn't handle the climate. Very long, hot and dry summers just aint my thing. Very long, cold and snowy winters now that's what I'm into and hence I live in Hokkaido... biggrin

Go Native

It's not about summer it's the beautiful spring and autumn days with no wind 20-30 Degrees surfing at your local by yourself or with a few mates. White sandy beaches playing with the kids outside on a balmy evening.

As said before all we need is some seizmic activity around Hyden to increase the altitude of wave rock and we would have the best place on earth to live.

Winter here sucks though

Seemore

It has been incredibly wet this year. I washed my walking snow boots last week (lent the new pair to a friend, and am taking my old pair which were a bit pongy) - and they are wetter now than when I washed them - and not one FINE day forecast before I go away again.

Think I need to bring them in and put them by a heater!

Seemore problem is I doubt I could survive the summer to enjoy the autumn. Perth averages 70 days a year with temps over 30 degrees and around 23 of those above 35 degrees. I really don't handle temps like that very well. You know how some people get depressed in winter because of the cold and lack of sunshine? Well I'm the sort of person who gets depressed in summer because of the heat and all that bloody sunshine!

I love winter but it needs to be a snowy winter not the crappy wet and windy ones that pass for winter in Aus.

Kutchan has almost the perfect climate for me. Long, cold and snowy winters, a short spring followed by a mild summer and a short, glorious autumn full of colour.

Go Native - be glad you don't live in the concrete, humid hell hole that is Tokyo in summertime! This year has been milder than most, but I remember 2004 (I think) when there were something like 60 consecutive days over 30 degrees. Nuts.

My only motivation for staying here is to earn enough cash to retire to my own custom-built lodge in Hokkaido, I sometimes think.

SdS

• 2 weeks later...