Hi guys

Which of the two would you say was better for good intermediate skiers..... and a bit of apre ski at night...{a pub with at least one other person in }.we love japan but would like to find somewhere where we can have both.

Regards

Sam and Fee

Noz prob your best bet for SOME Apres....although the 3 Valleys its Not! I don't think that SK has anything other than at the hotels, at least Noz is an actual village

Both resorts are great for intermediate skiers with a large variety of terrain from which to choose. SK has no apres except the bar in the hotel/lodge (not all hotels/lodges have bars though)., Nozawa does to some extent as there is an entire village at the base of the mountain.

Basically don't expect a huge nightlife scene at either (or pretty much most Japanese resorts). Perhaps Niseko and Hakuba are exceptions to that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nozawa Onsen is one of my favorite resorts in Japan (I have written a review on the main SJ site). There's a lot of great tree riding to be had on Yamabiko and for those brave (or foolish) enough to explore, Nozawa Onsen has some of the best slackcountry riding anywhere.

Shiga kogen is a much larger resort. Great if you like riding on piste.

Originally Posted By: blu
.... dumping heavy wet snow in mid Feb ...

Here is the quote of the example why to many Japanese minds mid Feb is spring conditions naughty

I think it is particularly true to Shiga and some of the resorts in Honshu. But not all ...
Both very popular resorts but not somewhere you want to go repeatedly imo

I disagree..

We went this mid-February and we are going back mid-Feb next year as well. We are going back to SK again as there were plenty of places we didn't even get to try in the 4 days on snow that we had there. The snow, considering it was one of the worst seasons and we landed just after it had rained was still plenty dry, and nearly on par with Furano the season before, which we went to at the start of Feb, not mid.

But let the knockers think SK is wet and spring-like in Mid Feb. It makes it nice and bare for the people who are going at that time. biggrin

Shiga Kogen only starts high up.

I also disagree with you Jynxx, I think you are misled there. Shiga Kogen has fine snow often into April. I went at the end of March and will post a link to my report when I get this on.

Perhaps you are referring to Niigata which is more "famous" for wet snow than Nagano.

Yep there is a thinking out there that Niigata gets lots of wet snow compared to Nagano. Pretty true as well I think. Perhaps you have mixed them up as muika said as the snow in Shiga Kogen is usually excellent and very reliable even if they don't perhaps get the depths that places like Yuzawa do.