Japan ski resorts that won't make it to the 09/10 season?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could get hold of them, it might be interesting to hear what they have to say about the experience of try to revitalise a Japanese ski resort. Quite a big one at that.

Personally, I suspect there is little or no money in running lifts in Japan at current prices. You have to provide other services with better margins, accommodation I guess, to make money.

Interesting comment that Mr Wiggles, I was only at the weekend speaking to someone at the weekend about Naeba. He said that Prince have been trying to offload the resort, ie Naeba skijo + hotel. Apparently they have had people interested in buying just the skijo but not the package that includes the hotel. It's the skijo that makes the money, with the hotel losing a ton. Don't know how correct that is though I have no reason not to believe what he was saying, after all he used to work there and has friends who still do.

Indeed - have never stayed there, and have never wanted to. it just seems too big and unfriendly, when you can stay in the town and meet some lovely people in the family run hotels. Plus much more variety in the skijos too.

well it could well be time to get rid of those unecessary annex buildings and consolidate operations back into the heart of the hotel. Keep the major lifts and ditch the rest. Maybe they'll survive for another season or so.

Japan has lost a decade, and it'll lose another one. Hoping for turnaround just isn't on.

The proud Hanazono owner, Richard Li sems to have iced all plans for his 5 star resort there. Focusing instead on raising half a billion US to buy AIG.

*asset management part of AIG with a portfolio of 90 billion.

Naeba's still over a million visitors though, isn't it? Even at 50% of the peak, that skijo is going to be making decent wedge!

I dunno the hotel myself but my missus went in once for work and said it was massive and very tired looking. It sounds like its far too big to get a decent occupancy and the taxes on something that size are going to be huge. The branded big city hotels have upped the ante for high-end accom in Japan in the past ten-fifteen years, so the refit that would be necessary to impress guests would cost a fortune. The name "Prince" even is worth next-to-nothing now.

Originally Posted By: big-will
from a different era.....

That sums it up well. It really is one of those places that for the most part looks stuck in a different time.
I sure wouldn't choose to stay there.

Most of the hotels I've seen at resorts, even in their heyday, were and remain just ugly edifices to poor taste with a total disregard for asthetics and the natural environment. Pretty much sums up most of what was built in post war Japan.

sorry, I put two things in one sentence. It's 2:40 am in munich and I'm a bit muddled, off to bed.

OK . They build a big hotel, ski-in-out situation, what they thought as an international ski resort good enough to get the world cup happening in Japan.

It was choco-block full during japanese winter holidays 24 Dec to 8 Jan, bloody expensive then, but appealed to the yuppie crowd. Reminder- it was cool to be yuppie, wearing Fila tennis warm-ups driving Audi, VW going to Naeba . Big Disco scene , too.

Ah the discos I remember them! Do they still have the Yumin concerts every winter?

I went once a while back and even then it seemed a little out of date somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on Kandatsu yet?

Also heard this week that the resort that is next to Kijimadaira, Makinoiri - the one on the same mountain as Kijimadaira and linked to it, it all looks like it is the same resort to people who don't know - will not be opening this season. Basically the right hand half of this image

gelande.jpg