Japan ski resorts that won't make it to the 09/10 season?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was on the news so as such it is out there, but it seems that Kandatsu in Yuzawa is having some serious problems.

I'm sure there will be a few...

It was in the Niigata Nippo or maybe one a local variation of one of the main papers, can't quite remember). Apparently the office at the resort is now closed down with supplies cut off.

There always seems to be talk of resorts in this area like that, but I have no idea what is true. I wonder how many of the places actually make a profit as they certainly never seem to get really busy other than at the very peak weekends.

Friend of mine who usually says sensible things told me last night that Kandatsu has indeed gone bankrupt. Whether someone else will step in or not is yet to be seen.

That would be a shocker if true.

I remember that place being SOOOO busy, quite a few years back of course.

Ideally it would be the really small crappy places that went under, not decent skijos.

Yes, PV wasn't a great mountain but at least they did make a big effort with their website English-wise to help out any hapless foreigner vistors.

Was up at Arai this morning and if there's no apparent work going on at this stage.

• 1 month later...

It seems the chances of Kandatsu being open this coming season are very small.

Apparently there's no-one in the office there now and the telephone and electricity has been disconnected. Lots of people owed money.

Sad.

Yes, Pine Ridge Resorts which I believe was foreign owned.

They own Geihoku in Hiroshima as well. Well, they used to but there seems to be no mention of them on the Geihoku skijo site now so perhaps they don't now.

Actually looks like it was renamed last December, this is on their website

昨年12月ã«â€èŠ¸åŒ—国際スキー場ã¨ã—ã¦å¾©æ´»ã—ã¾ã—ãŸã€‚

より皆様ã«æ„›ã•ã‚Œã‚‹â€èŠ¸åŒ—国際スキー場を目指ã—ã€ä»Šã‚·ãƒ¼ã‚ºãƒ³ã¯æ§˜ã€…ãªä¼ç”»ã‚’ã”用æ„ã—ã¦ãŠã‚Šã¾ã™ã€‚

....back to Geihoku Kokusai skijo.

As far as I know, it had been Pine Ridge Resorts Geihoku.

Kandatsu, back when it was known as Kandatsu Kogen, used to get mad mad busy. The contrast to the last few seasons is stark. I have been on a few weekdays and seen very very few people there, it was eerily empty. Though the same could probably be said for a fair few resorts it's not just Kandatsu.