you enjoyin Taz miteyak? post yer NZ pics later when ya have time thumbsup Good to see you back smile

...and you being a tad bit heavier than Fattwins? Mate, if I had to fight you or an ox, Id choose the ox cuz the ox wouldnt be half as strong worship

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
snowjunky, fwiw check out the tech talk over in tgr as they have tons of reviews/comparisons there smile

TGR Wow just checked it out, thanks CB for introducing me to whole new world.

This thread is making me thinks I need to be looking for new pair of skis - it's been a couple of years.

Originally Posted By: snowjunky

TGR Wow just checked it out, thanks CB for introducing me to whole new world.

snowjunky - the padded room is also a great place to pass the summer months wink

Thanks Guys, yeah has got me thinking about new skis also.

I currently have Stockli Stormrider xxl's which handle most things here in Oz & were OK earlier this year in Nozawa but some more width underfoot might be good when I head to Shiga Kogen next Feb.

I think it's all a feel thang ... When I clicked straight away at demo-ing gear, or I borrowed my mates, That impression lasts and it goes a long way. If you suffer a bit in the beginning, it's hard to get out of the slump. I've tried out gear that I ended up loving it after a week, and some were great on first day, and next day saw the limit.

Some gear there's hype, and you believe in it and the gear is sooo good. it's like placebo effect.

I think some skis actually limit you to just lean and not use your knees and put your weight on it. Because you can use the big side curve the skis have, you don't have to make one. Actually, I think telemarkers are the one's who still can still do it right.

In my days when we saw tele guys, it was RESPECT. I can't go down moguls and slalom tele..

Generally it does make sense for the factory to make stiffer skis with lots of side curve.

In the old days we used to say, "most people are not that good because they lean sideways". This has always been the case but know we have skis that suit this. Now the side curve is there, the feeling of flex is secondary (unless you are discerning skier) and stiff caters to most heavy weighting situations either you are heavy or lots of G's in curves.

So, where it needs the poppy feeling, quick weight shifts with immediate response, is slalom or moguls. This is where choosing skis gets fussy.

By the way, the skis that wins races are not the ones you and I wear. They are individually made. They are worn because companies pay big bucks to have them worn.

Plus, it's not always the skis that wins races. It's the WAX MAN who put the wax on.

So, there are no ONE 4 ALL skis I reckon.

Mogul and slalom is so much better if you have one that suits you.

The question is probably, which ones that's good for piste and off piste in all snow condition ? Should we choose a powder specific ski ? I don't think there is one made by the Japanese.

K2 Crossfire

suits my weight, familiar profile (I'm old school and haven't adapted to wide skis and IMO with my weight I don't need anything more than 70mm width even in powder)

Does everything well. Familiar feeling. @ very good price. Makes me think anything else is overpriced. Actually it's one of the best skis I tried.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
So, there are no ONE 4 ALL skis I reckon.
Mogul and slalom is so much better if you have one that suits you.
The question is probably, which ones that's good for piste and off piste in all snow condition ? Should we choose a powder specific ski ? I don't think there is one made by the Japanese.

you havent checked out any of the Vector Glide stuff yet have you? They have 4-5 skis and have everything. Check em out thumbsup

Cool, thanks for the tip...

Love to have a go on them next season ..

The Y 10,000 RRP price tag is pretty high . Well engineered Japanese skis are not cheap, but I believe it's worth the money if you get the feel thang...

armada jj

why: versatile beyond my imagination.. don't let the fatness fool you.. jjs handle just fine on groomers, and if getting from point a to b on the mountain requires you to ride thru moguls it'll do the trick (although obviously these weren't designed for hard core mogul runs).. a bit dodgy on ice, though.. armada's classification of these as an "all mountain powder ski" are spot on, IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
. Too be honest really have you seen many Japanese skis winning anything? Its not that they aren't good but are they really pushing progression?

This is really interesting from FT-san.

Like i said I demo`d Ogasaka skis lsat season and was very impressed. Most of the ski school instructors use them. They also are more expensive than most foreign brands....
Why have Ogasaka not cracked the overseas market?

I am thinking more GS than powder at the moment

1 Rossignol 10872

2 Atomic 10569

3 Head 8056

4 Fischer 4325

5 Voelkl 3998

Full ranking

Last years manufacture ranking for skis.

Ogasaka is based in nagano and the pros

get a pro form discount. When I think carving

racing I want Atomic hands down. Their designs

over the past 13 years pushed the Austrians

to new levels. The Beta series is still fast.

Remembering that minus 10 years ago or less, the

common all round ski for powder etc was a GS or

detuned GS ski ie softer. The skis at this time

were really being pushed by changes by companies

like Rossi with the 10xk, Atomic and the beta 10

series, Salomon and the equipe 9 and 8. If you look

at the insides of those skis you will see were designs

started to develop again. Most of the Japanese skis

are stale versions compared to this construction.

Stiff skis that ride well fast but can do nothing at

slower speeds.

FT who did the rankings & what is it based on?

Are the numbers after the brand the worldwide sales numbers?

The rankings are from the FIS 2008/2009 season.

Also the rossignol ski I quoted was wrong sorry it

was so long ago. Not the 10x but the 7xk with VAS.

Along with the 7sk these skis pushed tomba to new

heights.

Remembering also that the first skis to go fat were

Atomic, rossinol, dynamic and Volkl. Salomon brought the idea of torsional stiffness verse lateral stiffness to the market.With K2 pushing the 4 ski and Elan bringing parabolic skis to the market

ski designs were forever changed. You dont need a super stiff ski

to be able to cruise fast.

heights.

Atomic, rossinol, dynamic and Volkl. Salomon brought the idea of torsional stiffness verse lateral stiffness to the market.With K2 pushing the 4 ski and Elan bringing parabolic skis to the market

SJF, Why is there a lag in time from when Fattwins post, and when it appears in the thread? There have been other posts that come up at 10,11am, 12pm etc...but his just came up? Is the system broken?
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
heights.

SJF, Why is there a lag in time from when Fattwins post, and when it appears in the thread? There have been other posts that come up at 10,11am, 12pm etc...but his just came up? Is the system broken?

fattwins must be on restriction evilgrin
  • SnowJapan Admin

I had not actually noticed your post and neither apparently had my colleagues.

No the system is not 'broken', though as I said here, we are having some permissions issues with some members accounts.

As usual - and as I said in that thread - we ask people to contact us directly if something is going on with their account and we will look into it for them.

If you don't already know the 'answer' to your own question/comments, please contact us outside of the forums rather than post on them. (Though, as this isn't concerning your own account, I'm not quite sure why you are so concerned..)

friend

>(Though, as this isn't concerning your own account, I'm not quite sure why you are so concerned..)

(Im not sure why you always put comments in brackets)

Things without remedy should be without regard. Whats done is done.

• SnowJapan Admin

I really do not know what you mean by that comment.

Anyway, if you have some problem, please contact me.

Thanks.

The first skis I had in Japan were a 2nd hand set of Ogasaka. I actually really liked them and they are still in the genkan - like decorations wink Very heavy and look old now, but I have fond memories of them.

The (Japanese) friend I got them from was very much a fan of Ogasaka, though I'm not sure if there might have been some Nagano bias going on there.