1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

It's one of my pet peeves on the computer: people who type LOL ad nauseum in forums, emails, IM's etc. Are people really that easily amused that they are genuinely 'laughing out loud' like a hyena at the merest frivolity or triviality?

Whenever I see LOL, it conjures an image in my mind the most ditsy, vapid, scattered brained teenage girl

Even worse are those who think it's funny to put a "z" and make it 'lolz' - that shows an even more deficient I.Q than the plain version.

Anyone else irked by the inanity and pure stupidity of all the 'lol-ers' and their nauseating abbreviation?

I laugh a lot lol

MY pet peeve about "LOL" is when people use it as Lots Of Love. I cant help but rollabout when my mother sends me a text along the lines of

Quote:
Aunty Betty been taken to hospital with a heart attack - looks serious - LOL X Mum.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I laugh a lot lol

MY pet peeve about "LOL" is when people use it as Lots Of Love. I cant help but rollabout when my mother sends me a text along the lines of
Quote:
Aunty Betty been taken to hospital with a heart attack - looks serious - LOL X Mum.

lol@MB
and LOL @ SG wink
Originally Posted By: Kintaro
I don't necessarily associate it with low IQ's but it is absolutely irritating.

I was exaggarating a tad there - a heavy dose of satire* wink

I am pleased that I am not only one who is irked.

satâ‹…ire [sat-ahyuhr]
–noun 1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
2. a literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.

and without the use of emoticons, there is no indication of the intent. So one can only assume that the words used are used with the usual meaning and no emotion implications.

That is the intent of emoticons. To display your intent, you use lol or wink

I do, in fact understand satire. You didn't indicate that intent. So ... time to get a life and care about some more important stuff.

C'mon ger, there are places where the omg is appropriate.

For me it is when it is in capitals OMG - and would be read (in my head anyway) as thumbsup

Quote:
OH.......MY........GOD...!!!
And then on with the story.

I dont think I am awfully fond of it in lower case omg usage. Such as ... thumbsdown

Quote:
"I had such an awesome night last night, omg, it was amazing, and omg omg you just wont believe what happened next."