• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you mean. 15 minutes is a good going home time.

I would just hate hate hate it to be in the hour and over region. 2 hours a day wasted. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
My two yen

INTERACT with a better company wink

Your damn right mate....gotta get out of the whole eigo teaching anyway its shite!! smile
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

Your damn right mate....gotta get out of the whole eigo teaching anyway its shite!! smile

Yeah, well, people knock teaching English but the thing is, teaching English is quick and easy way to make a few bucks. I know entrepreneurs who have opened up places, worked their asses off for years, made shit money, then closed down to teach English again. I know only one or two people who have actually been successful outside of teaching. But don't listen to me, I live on Shikoku. Actually, this time I'm not saying that facetiously. In the countryside there's less opportunity outside of teaching English. But you can also get better gigs teaching in the countryside. Plus the cost of living is way lower. I say, get the hell out of Tokyo. Better still, get out of 'eikaiwa' and ALT stuff. But that may take a lot of planning and effort.

OK. How's this idea for people who are hustling teaching English in the cities? Get on the JET program and request somewhere deep in the countryside where there aren't too many distractions and you can have a good lifestyle. Then start doing a Masters in Applied linguistics with some place like Macquarie or Reading. You should have loads of free time on the JET program and enough money to complete your masters degree in three years and still party a fair bit too. Then get a job at a University. Be willing to move for a full time position. Then, Bob's your uncle, Fanny's your aunt. There you go.

Ger the fact is I DON'T want to be teaching English. I don't know what I want to do, but the English teaching thing is really done for me, BUT as you say it is the easiest way to make money. Working n Elementary schools has actually re-invigorated it for me as the kids are great and the classes are fun but in the long run I don't wanna be doing this. My mate has done just what you said, distance learnig for a Masters in Applied Linguistics, got himself a great job teaching PHd Genetics students how to present their papers and give seminars n English. He is earning a fortune now and negotiated all of August off (unpaid but with his salary effectively doubled, he can handle no pay in August). Don't really know if that for me though.

And Rob.... naughty.....I will not hear a bad word against the Fuj!!! I love this town!! smile

Its not easy to do a masters by distance learning, i tried that on JET but didnt finish it. But for sure, on JET you have massive free time and if you do not spend that time learning japanese or improving your skills then you are looking to fall into the eikaiwa trap.

Ger the fact is I DON'T want to be teaching English.

Yeah, fair enough. Of course, the other question is - How long are you going to stay in Japan?

haha I know. Well this is my 2nd stint here so I knew what I was getting into. I don't have any timeframe of going home, that all depends on what i wanna do....vicious circle!! lol

I USED to have loads of free time at work, max was 3 classes a day and it was a shock when I had to teach 4. This year I often have 6 classes and no free time and while the day goes quicker I hanker back for those "sit on my ass days" hehehe lol

And Rob.... naughty.....I will not hear a bad word against the Fuj!!! I love this town!! smile

easy there tiger - wasn't slagging off the fuj..... miss it too - the birds chirping away outside odakyu store, Canes bar, kaiten sushi, 8 mins from beach. just bad mouthing off some of the pubs
the fact is I DON'T want to be teaching English.

Tubbs, that was me when I was there. I was running my own place and that gave me certain freedom , but at the end of the day you have to be into what you are doing, especially if you want to make a career out of it.

mate a bit of both TBH. Sometimes they go great and others its like pulling teeth. The thing is they want me to plan and lead the lesson and want me to make all the props etc etc. I don't mind doing all that but when they give me 6 lessons, when am I meant to be planning and making? I'm only contracted for 6 hours a day so the classes take up all my contracted time......stay behind after school?? FThat...unpaid work is not my thing, my name ain't Oxfam!!

mate a bit of both TBH. Sometimes they go great and others its like pulling teeth. The thing is they want me to plan and lead the lesson and want me to make all the props etc etc. I don't mind doing all that but when they give me 6 lessons, when am I meant to be planning and making? I'm only contracted for 6 hours a day so the classes take up all my contracted time......stay behind after school?? FThat...unpaid work is not my thing, my name ain't Oxfam!!

so you're teaching 30 lessons/week?

yeah, why work a little bit of overtime right? It's only your students who are "suffering" by getting average lessons when they could be getting great lessons. Like you said, teaching isnt for everybody.

His point is that the employer should pay him for preparation time, which I think is totally reasonable unless they want to lose staff and students.

I teach 26 classes a week, I eat with the kids so thats included as a working hour, so thats 5 lunchtimes, so thats over 30 hours.

I don't get any breaks as I have to work thru them, quickly hashing things together for the next round robin of classes:

Pay me my money for the work I do and I would gladly stay over. In fact the ALT actually isn't meant to plan or lead the class. This is meant to be the responsibility of the HRT but I recognise that they are busy with a million other things and I prefer to design and lead the class myself.

I don't post on here while at work.