I worked at kawaba alot of rope ducking will give you good powder. Some epic back Country around the area. Another area Hotoka??? I dont know the name has great off piste and you can trek in between kawaba and hotaka. You can maybe even slide out to an access road but ive never tried. Now thats an idea.

I guess Kawaba is alright but if you're not into hiking it could be too crowded for your liking. Its runs aren't exactly fun/longish either. If I were you I'd give Hotaka Bokujo a try(especially if you're a boarder)which is also positioned relatively close to Numata IC(about a 40min drive). This ski area is reasonably big with snow quality that can rival Nagano's. Another place I'd recommend is Snow Par Ogna Hotaka(I discovered it by chance this past season)which is also in the same neighborhood. This place's got lots of good snow, interesting trails, great view and offers the option of doing a little hiking. For more info go ahead and check out my humble journal. ;\)

I worked for a season at Oze Iwakura and the start of my ski career cough cough. What can I say? Its skiers only, has some good steeps and def some bc around there to keep you busy but I dont know if Id go there now. This was back in 97-98 season so Im sure things are different now but the weekends were buuuusy and lots of Tokyo posers that dont really ski but just drink beer in the restaurant. Dunno, but I think Id only go back for sentimental reasons. Nice in Summer though Ive heard! Good hiking etc

Kawabas trails suck but I never said that I skied the trails. The forest is short but well spaced. The cornice behind the top lift can be over 40 feet of drop. The surronding bowls deep and lightly skied.

snow par ogna hotaka does that have a bowl near the top of the mountian. A single chair from the bottom parking area?

If so that area is the one that you can hike to Kawaba from. Ski BC lines off the top, or nice trees back down into the resort really nice.

Yup, Snow Par is the one with a bowl-ish thingy on the top and that pathetic looking lift connecting between lower parking and the base. By the way did you know they'd charge you 300yen just for using that dinky lift once? :rolleyes: It'd be a more attractive place if they put in a board park though.

They had some basic jumps before, ah well. Hike above the top double and then ski in that forest. or ski the backside and find the road. My kendo sensei tours around there. Alot of the BC you see in Mags is around there. If I lived near there I would ski there a bit.

• 3 weeks later...