The FOOTBALL Thread (2009-2010)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Phil Brown has confirmed the club's interest in signing Michael Owen.

"It's something that has been sounded out as a possibility, but, as yet, there has been no offer put to Michael.

"He has got a proven track record as a goalscorer and that's an area we are keen to strengthen, but it would have to be on the right terms." (Hull Daily Mail)

doh
Quote:
Carlos Tevez will join Manchester City on a five-year deal next week unless Chelsea match the £130,000-a-week salary on offer at Eastlands.

Tevez quit Manchester United on Saturday after two years at the club and the Argentinian is expected to sign for Mark Hughes’ ambitious side when he returns from a holiday in south America.

City and Chelsea have agreed to pay the £25.5m to secure the striker’s services, but Hughes has inched ahead after offering Tevez a guaranteed starting place in the team.

Tevez, 25, has made it clear that he wants to join a club with a history of battling against the odds and City, who have spent decades in the shadows of their great rivals United, fit the bill.

lol
Quote:
Rafael Benítez conceded yesterday that he paid over the odds for Glen Johnson, the England right back, but the Liverpool manager is more concerned about trying to avert an exodus from Anfield this summer.

Such exciting news to start the day off. Can't say I'm excited at Glen Johnson whatever the price never mind what we paid.

a mere 17 mil.

as as for Mickey

Quote:
Owen, 29, is currently paid £115,000 per week at Newcastle but Hull's hopes of putting together an attractive package will be boosted by his availability on a free transfer after confirming he will leave St James' Park in the near future.

Brown has promised that Hull will do their utmost to tempt Owen to head to east Yorkshire.

"Breaking the bank is not a term the chairman would be keen on but Owen's certainly someone you would push the boat out for," Brown said.

"The added value of him is that he's come to the end of his contract and he's free.

"We will be speaking to Michael's representatives within the week," Brown added.

"I would think he would have a number of offers and we'll have to be competitive.

"But I wouldn't sit down with him if I thought I was wasting my time. Anything is possible in football."

Brown is confident Owen's decision will be determined by other considerations rather than just money.

Bit of a joker is Brown lol

Yes, it's the deckchair look for the Toon on our glamourous travels to whoever's in Division Two. I swear I don't yet know.

Can't say I'm that keen on ManYoo's either.

Owen for Hull or Stoke, that would be great.