The FOOTBALL Thread (2009-2010)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emmanuel Adebayor's punishment for raking his studs down Robin van Persie's face will be a three-match ban from the Football Association tomorrow after the Manchester City striker admitted a charge of violent conduct.

Adebayor will miss Sunday's derby at Manchester United as well as the Carling Cup tie at home to Fulham next Wednesday and West Ham United's visit to the City of Manchester Stadium the following Monday. His club said they had "reluctantly accepted" he would be unable to convince the FA that he had not meant to hurt Van Persie, having left him with a bruised and bloodied face during City's 4-2 defeat of Arsenal on Saturday.

Great moment on MOTD when Lineker picked up the irony of Shearer talking about Adebayor kicking someone in the face. Shearer's was much better, or much worse depending on your viewpoint. I thought Scholes first booking was much worse than Adebayors. Studs into the back of someone's ankle should be a straight red.

Only five games in and Citeh have stopped being a joke and are now being feared. If they keep spending, they'll get there. Maybe not with Hughes, or Tevez, or Barry, or Roque Santa Cruz sitting in the hospital, but they'll get there. Just like Chelsea did. Citeh have stopped leaking goals, which was problem number one.

Indeed - should have been a longer ban and very lucky to get only 3 matches.

How Mark Hughes can actually claim innocence having seen that video. His whole body language eminates malice from him looking down at VP to gaining balance for the stamp.

Quote:
Peter Kenyon is to step down as chief executive of Chelsea from the end of next month, the English Premier League club said.

Kenyon will continue as a non-executive director and will represent the club in various committees of Uefa and the European Clubs' Association but the shock move will inevitably trigger speculation about possible differences with the club's owner Roman Abramovich.

In a statement announcing the switch, Kenyon confirmed that he would be looking for a new job, saying he felt he had "at least one major challenge left in me.''

Kenyon controversially left the chief executive's job at Manchester United before joining Chelsea in February 2004.

Quote:

Karren Brady, the most high-profile woman involved in English football, will leave her post as chief executive of Birmingham City once Hong Kong businessman Carson Yeung takes over the club.

Chairman David Sullivan also announced today that he was planning to end a long association with the club once Yeung's Grandtop International has completed a buyout of other shareholders, which is expected to happen next month.

Brady has begun to forge a new career in television, working on the BBC's hit show 'The Apprentice'.

"It was a hard decision for me to make to leave the club after so long but, with the new change in ownership, I feel the time will be right for me to move on and pursue my other ventures,'' she said.

"Grandtop have asked me to retain my position as CEO but I honestly feel they must be allowed to stamp their own mark on the club and I believe that this is best done without the current board looking over their shoulder.''

why buy such a sucker of a club doh nunce.

more for mr. nasty

Quote:
City are continuing to explore their options in relation to a separate charge of improper conduct against Adebayor resulting from his goal celebration against his former club, which saw the Togolese forward run the length of the pitch before sliding to his knees in front of the visiting supporters.

The incident prompted unrest amongst the Arsenal contingent, with a City steward being knocked unconscious in the crowd surge that followed.

Adebayor and City have until Sept 30 to respond to that charge and request a personal hearing, but the club are awaiting the outcome of a similar case involving Nottingham Forest forward Nathan Tyson before finalising plans on how to fight the charge, which could result in a further suspension should the FA find Adebayor guilty.

Daily Mail so here's a huge bag of salt]:

Carlos Tevez is making a dramatic late bid to be fit for Sunday's derby showdown with his old club Manchester United.

The Argentina striker had looked certain to miss out on the most eagerly awaited Manchester derby for years because of a knee injury, but he is desperate to play at Old Trafford following his acrimonious £25million summer exit from United to Manchester City.