The FOOTBALL Thread (2009-2010)

MO ain't too popular in the pool.

Here's 365s take

* United require another attacker. To start the season with just two youngsters as support two recognised top-class strikers would be a risk too far. In comparison, signing Michael Owen on a free transfer is no risk at all. A proven goalscorer who is presumably joining United in the knowledge that he will start the season behind Wayne Rooney and Dimi Berbatov in the pecking order, Owen is the perfect fit for what United require.

Not incidentally, it was mostly from the bench that Owen scored his 13 La Liga goals during his single season at Real Madrid, ending the campaign with the league's highest ratio of goals scored to number of minutes played.

* Signing the 5ft 8 Owen would balance United's attacking options. Berbatov, Danny Welbeck and Macheda are all big 'uns while Rooney is the only little 'un. True enough, Owen and Rooney failed to dovetail convincingly on England duty but that potential problem may be irrelevant: Ferguson probably has no intention of playing them together.

* If it is true that he has agreed a pay-as-you-play deal with a series of performance-related bonuses attached then Owen has passed the first, pivotal test. With Everton reputedly ready to offer him a far-superior weekly wage of ï½£65,000, Owen's willingness to accept the incentivised deal on offer at Old Trafford indicates that he still has the required ambition and hunger to succeed.

Furthermore, Owen has not only proved himself to the club's manager but also made his transfer a risk-free venture for the board to approve. Nor can the club's owners dissent: By joining on a Bosman free on knock-down wages, Owen's arrival would not conflict with the reported age limit of 25 imposed on new purchases.

* If those performance-related clauses aren't incentive enough, then the proximity of next summer's World Cup should be sufficient to a player who has lost part of his name. England's Michael Owen will be desperate to reclaim his place and his recall will only be possible if he makes a success of his first year at Old Trafford.

* Ahh, yes, the injuries. Don't you think that Sir Alex might be aware of them as well, though? Before signing, Owen will first have to sign a medical that is being universally described as 'stringent'. That should help allay a few of the doubts. Moreover, it is not as if Owen's body is fundamentally broken; he is not in recovery from a career-threatening knee injury or leg break. Instead, his career has been blighted in recent years by a series of annoying, inconvenient happenstance injuries - he missed the start of last season, for instance, with the mumps. And if there is one medical department in the world that is likely to put him on the road to recovery then it is in residence at Old Trafford.

* There are few more potent goalscorers in world football, never mind England. Even at Newcastle he continued to be prolific: the stat his critics fail to include when remarking disdainfully that he only started 58 league games for Newcastle is that he also managed to score 26 goals in that time.

* And that was when playing for a struggling team, sometimes in midfield, and as a poacher.

The retort to the argument that Owen's pace has gone is that it was going even before he joined Real Madrid and it is precisely because Owen has morphed into a penalty-box predator that he is such a viable acquisition for a leading club. In a side near the bottom of the table, a predator is a luxury because he has so little to feed on. In a side challenging for the title, as United inevitably will be, he is in his element.

* A former European Footballer of the Year with the experience of playing for Real Madrid, Liverpool and England, Owen will not be overawed by the pressure of playing for United. And as a native of the north-west, he'll have no problems settling in either.

* United have previously enjoyed bountiful success by signing strikers at the finale of their career - and the precedent set by Henrik Larsson and Teddy Sheringham will undoubtedly have been an encouragement to Sir Alex.

* The arrival of an Englishman will also be useful if FIFA succeed in bringing forward their plan to introduce a 'six plus five' quota.

* Owen loves the horses. In other words, he'll be the perfect companion for Sir Alex on the team bus.

* Liverpool fans are going to hate it if he joins United. Especially as the Law of Returning Players means he is absolutely guaranteed to score against them next season.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not nearly as much as the Newcastle fans do, I'd imagine.

After being widely mocked for printing the brochure, Owen's a good player again now Fergie's interested. It's an amazing turnaround.

You know, though, as laughable as the idea was yesterday it might just turn out to be an inspired move. And if it isn't with the incentive based pay it's not much of a gamble really for United is it. All very intersting but as you say Mr Wiggles an amazing turnaround.

He must be shocked at how things have gone the last few days.

He's going to have a ton of pressure on him to perform though, will sure be interesting to see how it all turns out.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
After being widely mocked for printing the brochure, Owen's a good player again now Fergie's interested. It's an amazing turnaround.

Well, Fergie has a fairly decent record does he not.
I was never particularly wanting this to happen but now it has, I'm hoping that it turns out good.

Lets face it, last season he was playing in a crap team with no service.
He probably was disinterested - though that doesn't say much good about professionalism.
I'm sure in the 'Manchester variety of United' environment he'll have a much better chance of being what he once was.

We shall see.
Originally Posted By: bobby12
Lots of noise about Mascherano going to Barca, I really hope we dont lose him. I think he is a really key player for us, he usually started in the away games where we did so well.

Agree. The noise is getting louder as well.

Looks like Citeh are going to try to get Terry again. Their weakest point is defence, that would be a big coup.

Will this guy ever shut his big spouting gob?

What on earth can he gain from this?

Quote:
Carlos Tevez has branded Sir Alex Ferguson a "liar" - and vowed Premier League revenge on the Manchester United manager.

Tevez is set to be unveiled at Manchester City after turning down the chance to stay at Old Trafford.

And the Argentine hit-man blamed Fergie's "lies" over his status in the champions' squad after last year's £30million signing of Dimitar Berbatov for driving him out of United.

Now Tevez, a huge favourite with the United fans, has promised to make Ferguson pay for the insult.

Tevez, who rejected the chance to stay at United even though the club met his £25.5m asking price, said: "Ferguson still believes I will be at United next season. He thinks I will return.

"But I know what I want and I know that Ferguson did not respect me as a player. Before Berbatov arrived in Manchester, Ferguson told me, 'You will still be the starting striker, so be cool'. But he lied to me! That is why I know I will not return to United.

"What I want to do next season is score against United. I promise I will not celebrate in front of the United fans but I will shout in Ferguson's face.

"You can be sure of that - and it will be one of the most beautiful things I have done in football."

More very likely totally baseless gossip doing the rounds, but I'll post just for the shits and giggles:

Quote:
Manchester United are reportedly set to beat rivals Manchester City to the signature of Barcelona striker Samuel Eto’o.

The News of the World reports that the Cameroon international has decided he does not want to stay at Barca or join Man City and will instead head to Old Trafford.

The report claims that Eto’o is also ready to reduce his wage demands in order to become a Red Devil and link up with Sir Alex Ferguson.

Of course, neighbours City have made no secret of their desire to lure Eto’o, and were reported to have made a “monster bid†for the Barcelona striker.

Can't see that happening either.

Ronnie:

The newest Galactico, Cristiano Ronaldo, has revealed he had to quit Manchester United as he feared serious injury if he didn't.

Ronaldo cited the rough physical nature of the Premier League as one of the factors that convinced him to join the free-spending Spanish giants.

The Portugese superstar told Shortlist, "There are some teams who know they can't compete with you on a football level, so they just kick you.

"It's frustrating and something needs to be done to protect the skilful players because one day someone will get seriously hurt. I think more could be done to protect us but that is up to the referees to decide."

Despite his apparent happiness to leave the Premier League, Ronaldo revealed his affection for the city of Manchester and particularly for former boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

"I was a boy when I arrived at Manchester and now I'm leaving a man. This club and its fans will always have a place in my heart," he enthused.

From watching him at the Toon, I think Owen is finished as a top out and out striker and is best used "in the hole". Owen's best games for Newcastle were under Keegan in 2007-2008 when we played 4-3-3 with him behind Viduka and Martins. Owen played some nice forward passes and did some great ghosting in from deep. He was MOM in a few games. Apparently Eriksson wanted him to play deep for England years ago, but he would never cooperate.

Of course, that's where ManYoo have played Rooney so far. If Rooney goes center forward and can up his goal tally, maybe something can work. I won't comment on the stats, because I don't believe in assists. I think its a bit mickey mouse.

Tevez was seen in central Manchester yesterday handing out printouts of the following statement.

"I'm not bitter at all. Not one little bit. Really I don't care and I'm not bitter. They just made a big mistake and I'm not bitter and I really don't care. At all. Really. It's such a shame they didn't win the game in Rome, but it was their fault for not picking me and I'm not bitter about it at all. I'll seek revenge on Fergie but that doesn't mean I'm bitter. I'm fine. Really"