BA staff asked to work for nothing

I suspect it is much easier for someone getting 61 grand a month to forfeit their monthly salary....

Quote:
British Airways boss Willie Walsh is asking his 40,000 staff to work for nothing to save the airline.

The astonishing plea comes as BA faces what Mr Walsh says is a 'fight for survival'.

The company has written directly to its 40,000 employees asking them to volunteer for up to four weeks of unpaid work.

Mr Walsh announced last week that he would work unpaid for the month of July - forgoing £61,000 in salary. His chief financial officer Keith Williams is also working unpaid for the month.

The appeal to staff goes much further than earlier requests for a pay freeze or unpaid leave.

It also undermines the unions with whom BA is negotiating a wider package of cost- cutting measures.

That'll do wonders for morale!

After paying double the cost of buying the same flights in the UK for the honour of starting the return journey in Japan, I was thinking of having a mini revenge by getting the Hindu meal for me, the Muslim one for my missus, and the Kosher one for my eldest. Of course, we'd then eat each others and pass loud comments on which was the best. However, I now suspect the cabin crew are going to be pissed off enough as it is without further provocation.

Quote:
Hundreds of staff have already expressed in interest in working for free, a BA spokeswoman insisted yesterday.

There are only two reasons this could be the case, according to David Guest, professor in organisational psychology at King's College London.

"Either they have high levels of commitment to the firm," he said, "or they have high levels of insecurity."

Beef or fish?

330,000 total for me, missus, 3-y-o (virtually full fare), 1-y-o with no seat. I don't remember exactly, but per adult when I booked, it was deffo under 500 quid all inc. coming the other way. The pound was 130 to the yen at the time.

Tubby Beaver noticed the same thing and wrote to them.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/289045/8.html

I cant see why they should volunteer to work for a month without pay and I find it hard to believe that many BA staff would. They always seem in such a grumpy mood as it is! Ridiculous thing to ask your employees.

Wasn't concorde actually quite small inside?

The 380 looks interesting. What flights can you find that on then?

I can understand people forgoing a DAYS pay per month to prop up thier company - but a whole MONTH out of a year. I dont think so.

Many of those staff live paycheck to paycheck - silly old codger has been at the ritzy end of town for TOO long and lost touch with reality!

• 2 weeks later...

BT getting in on the act.

I wonder how I would feel if I was in this situation.

Anyone here been faced with anything like this?

Quote:
The former state telecoms company - one of Britain's biggest private employers with 106,000 staff - is trying to save money as it struggles to cope with the impact of the recession.

BT has proposed that employees take up to a year off, in return for taking a 75 per cent pay cut. To encourage as many workers to take up of the offer, the company will pay their reduced salary as an upfront cash payment.

It is also offering staff a one-off payment of £1,000 if they switch from full-time to part-time work.

Parents are also being offered the opportunity to work only in school term times, so they can spend the summer holidays with their children.

The radical proposals - leaked to The Daily Telegraph - are the latest example of the private sector having to adopt increasingly desperate and inventive measures to tackle the recession by cutting costs without sacking staff.

British Airways last month asked thousands of its staff to work for free during the summer, and to switch to part time hours. Many car manufacturers have sent workers home on half pay for months at a time.

BT - which made a £1.3 billion loss in the first three months of the year - has already announced 15,000 job cuts last year with plans to cut a further 15,000 jobs in the next 12 months.

A senior source at BT told The Daily Telegraph that the "Time Out Options" will save the company from having to cut further jobs as it radically restructures the company.

• 4 weeks later...

It's in the Sunday Times this morning that there is a BA staff strike looming in August. What a surprise that is, summer wouldn't be the same without that.