Hi there

Been lurking a bit and thought I'd just get registered and done with.

wave

I visit Japan fairly often on business and have been skiing in Nagano. Come February I will have some time and based in western Gunma - not too far from Kusatsu Onsen. I won't (as it is) have a car and wondering if Kusatsu skijo would be worth a week or if that is too long maybe and it is worth my putting the effort into going further afield - problem with that is the extra costs.

I'm a fairly competent skier, but not looking for some huge wilderness adventure. A decent ski resort perhaps with some nice trees will do me fine.

Cheers.

Hi Srog. wave

As much as I liked Kusatsu (both the skijo and town), I don't think it's a place to stay a week. Well I wouldn't anyway. It's not really that big. But there are a few other places quite closeby including Manza Onsen. I suppose it will depend on exactly where you are. The trip into Numata from Naganohara (?) is a fairly long winding road, probably takes the best part of an hour but there is a train. Then there's the resorts on the other side of Numata/Minakami and also Yuzawa to the north.

Where will you be?

Fairly small place in reality but worth a look.

I agree with others - I would say a week is too long.

Manze is worth a look as well and nice onsen (as has Kusatsu).

Kusatsu is definitely worth a visit but like others said a week would be pushing it. The skijo isn't actually that big, just long and narrow. I like the top bit though and a few sneaky runs. They do some walking tours up there, over to the crater which is fun.

I spent a day at both Kusatsu and Manza this last winter, Srog.

Great few days. Very different though. Kusatsu is very much an onsen town (check out muikabochis pics he posted) whereas Manza is basically just the resort/hotels. Both not particularly big places but when we went the snow was great and we had a good full day at both. I'd say like others that more than a few days for the skiing is too much, but definitely worth a look.

They are both definitely worth a look and in peak season the snow is often very fine over there. If you like smelly onsen too, you're in luck.