Searched and searched but couldn't find the thread about ski movies filmed in Japan.

Anyway, was going to add to the list one by Nimbus Independent films that was filmed in Hokkaido. Don't think the actual DVD is out yet but you can get a preview on their web site http://www.nimbusindependent.com/videos/webisodes.html#top . It's about a 20 min long preview, and there's also others from Austria and the US(?).

This may help those suffering from snow withdrawal and/or the heat and humidity of the summer wink

ps - the podcasts from Freeskier Magazine are pretty good too (though not Japan related)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an IMAX movie about the Nagano Olympics. That was pretty cool. It would be interesting to see it again now and see how/if anything has changed.

Been looking for a link/download but only come up with:

A small synopsis:

"The 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan, is the setting for "Olympic Glory." Between spectacular sequences of bobsled races and snowboarding are profiles of athletes such as Philip Bait, a Kenyan cross-country skier making his Olympic debut at Nagano, and Bjorn Daehlie, the world's greatest cross-country skier and the most decorated Olympian of all time. The film was directed by Kieth Merrill and produced by Frank Marshall and Scott Swofford."

A review: http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19991119&slug=2996084

And some trailers: http://www.bigmoviezone.com/filmsearch/movies/index.html?uniq=29 No sound though!

the nimbus independent films are very good.. sweet footage and great music.

their "webisodes" from the previous season (07/08) although not filmed in japan are pretty good as well.

definitely worth checking out to get your snow fix..

^^^ "Hunting Yeti"? If so, had a look at a few of the webisodes today - the one where the guy dislocates his shoulder and they reduce it in the field was interesting.

Can't remeber what other movies were mentioned in the original thread, but 3 that come to mind are the 2nd season of "Unparallelled", an upcoming one by "Sweetgrass Productions" , and the "Icon" series. Pretty sure the "Unparallelled" was filmed partly in the Myoko area.

yep, that's it.. Hunting Yeti..

these webisodes were what kept me going during the last summer in the run up to the 08/09 season.. so far in this off-season nimbus' "en route" series is what i've been watching to maintain my sanity.

i'll be sure to check out Unparallelled..

definitely would like to see more of these north american production companies shoot more in japan.. i guess the production cost becomes an issue for these companies.. why shoot all the way in japan when you have some of the best terrain in the world in north america..

"Unparallelled" is good stuff but it is solely tele party (just to forewarn those who may be anti free heelin)

Originally Posted By: Mada

definitely would like to see more of these north american production companies shoot more in japan.. i guess the production cost becomes an issue for these companies.. why shoot all the way in japan when you have some of the best terrain in the world in north america..

I could see things getting a bit expensive over here. The little stuff tends to add up. If any crews want to save a little cash, I've got a pretty decent sofa you can crash on for a few nights.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a Komeito poster shown with the slogan from their 2005 Manifesto on it, so maybe the old look is artistic styling?

The Believe scenes of jumping down the avalanche barriers to land at the side of the road are fun. Like a ski version of parkour.