So for a number of reasons Breckenridge in Colorado has caught my eye. I was wondering if any forum peeps had been there and what they had to say about it compared to Japan.

Whats the powder like compared to Nagano?

Whats the scene like compared to Nagano?

Whats the facilities like compared to Nagano?

Anything, in comparason to I guess Nagano cos thats where I know best but comparrisons to Hokkaido too would be good.

Cheers folks. As always your opinions are valued \:\)

hey zwelly...

Breckenride is a really beautiful part of CO...Summit County has a few resorts in the area, Breck, Copper, A-Basin (I think...). I was in breck a looong time ago, and I think they have done some major expansion since then. The town is small and typical rocky mtn. ski village...accoms will be way more varied and nicer than what we deal with in japan, same with facilities (I think that is true of all N.American resorts compared to nippon).

Personally, I think Aspen is a more interesting area...you got Aspen Mtn, Aspen Highlands (steeeeeep), Snowmass (gigantic), and another (but only for beginners)...the town has its rep. and you will see those ritzy types in the fur coats, but there is a really lively nightlife, and actually some culture (lots of art galleries and stuff). Facilities are world class, and there is a wide variety of accom. Terrain is much more varied than Summit county, and the sheer magnitude of some of snowmass itself is enough to keep you busy...Aspen highlands has steeps and glades that would probably make Fattwins drewl...

when you headed that way???

i wanna ski...

danz

I lived in Summit County (Keystone, Breck, A Basin, Copper) I worked at Keystone which is owned by Vail Resorts, so had a pass for Keystone, Breck, A Basin, Vail and Beaver Creek, the latter 2 are an hour away.

The 5 Mtn pass rocks!

I could tell you so much if you want, do you use MSN messenger or ICQ? that would be easier

I would love to head to colorado. Problem is Im a bumm I perfer quality -quantity. That means I make a budget and stick to it. I hope to visit they one day. Next year I am planning a trip to visit dane and ski around Big White and a few other resorts.

Haven't been to Breck, but spent a little time at nearby Vail. I think you would dig Colorado life. Definitely different than Nagano though. One similarity is that there are quite a few different resorts all within a few hours of each other. The Vail pass runs over $1000 if you don't work for the resort I hear, and life in the Colorado mountains in general can be way more expensive than Nagano. The powder when I was in Colorado was nothing compared to Japan pow, but I may have hit it at the wrong time. They definitely don't get as much (but you knew that). The terrain is more varied though and the resorts (at least Vail) are HUGE!

If you live near a big Colorado resort you definitely will not feel inaka at all. You might want to look into Jackson Hole in Wyoming as well.

I'm commin to crash on your floor if you get a place in the Rockies \:D

The snow quaility in the rockies is very dry. The season starts early and then the temps dive. It just cant snow alot unless you have that mix of warm and cold conditions. Im sure the snow stays good for days.

That's true - I did notice that even after 3 or 4 days without snow, the patches I found were still really nice. The problem is it gets tracked out soooo fast. Even a huge mountain(s) like Vail. Kiss your early afternoon powder expeditions goodbye and make sure you're the first one on the lift (which I am sure will be no problem for you zwelgy).

Also the snow seems to pile up better/faster. Just an inch or two settles really nicely for great conditions, whereas some places I have spent time would need 4 or 5 inches to feel like new snow. It's funny to think back - I had never seen a foot (or two!) of powder before Japan, and now it just seems like the norm.

Important to keep in mind that although it does get tracked out super fast - there are way more off-piste and backcountry options - buy the gear, find the snowmobile crew and have a blast. I will show you a few kickass spots.

This is what came today from Breckenridge...

"Hello Zwelgen you sexy beast (ok that was me adding lib but thats what they were thinking Im sure),

Your application for employment with the Food & Beverage Dept. has been turned over to me. I am just beginning to process our H2B visa

applications for next winter. In reviewing your job history, I am wondering if you would be interested in a cook position. We operate 4

restaurants, 2 on-mountain and 2 at the base area. We do have employee housing available.

Please let me know if this is of interest to you.

Thank you..."

blah blah blah.

bit of a salary cut but Im not complaining. A mate of mine is an instructor there so he hooked me up and put in a good word for me - exboyfriends have many uses and many reasons to stay on good terms with them!

Hey! I actually live in Vail and work in Beaver Creek. Congrats on getting a job in Breck! I think you'll really like the snow out here. The powder days are fantastic, but it's true that it gets tracked out fast. Although, the local's know where to go to keep getting fresh powder, which you'll definitely learn.

I like Breck, but it is pretty flat (a lot of people complain that it's a 'beginner's mountain'). It does have a great park, but Keystone and Vail's park's were better. Vail's great, but it is huge. Personally, I love Beaver Creek and spent most of my days there last season. It's smaller, not as crowded (everyone wants to go to Vail for the name), and much more steep than Vail.

Have a great time at Breck, and give me a shout if you're in the Vail area!

Take the job and then make sure that you're only cooking evening meals so you have your days free. If they complain tell them that daytime meals are beneath your level of Chefmanship. ;\)

Zwel! unreal!

who did u apply thru, snowboard freak and i are looking at working in the us (co) this coming winter and the only company than can interview us here is www.iep.org.au

and they only have access to like 5 resorts...

what resort is it that u'll be working for??

we have the options of working at copper, colorado mth express, park hyatt ?

they are the places we can interview and apply for...

anyone got anyother ideas on how to apply?!!? (remember we in oz)

if your into park riding you landed in a great place. they been turning it up lately. also, get your b/c gear ready cause there are some great trailheads in the area and some incredible access. avy danger is high there though and the altitude can kill ya. beware.

one piece of advice. bring your mountain bike and stay through the summer (if you can). the best part of the colorado trail runs through there and is reeeeal nice.

congrats and have a blast.

• 1 month later...