Telemarking in the South Island - Calling all Chook-footin' Kiwis

Four years in the desert and finally about to slip on the telemarks again for the winter down under. Got a week in NZ with a campervan. Looking for the best spots for a good mix of kind off-piste and good 'campervanning'

G'day BoC, been a long time! Thanks for the welcome!

I'm guessing you're still in Japan!?! (seems like a long time ago, but I guess I was there for nine years myself... actually dropped into Tokyo on business a few weeks back for a night... enough time for Matsusaka gyu yakiniku and some sushi!

You paged? (not a Kiwi but do tele)

Did something similar a few years back - rented a campervan and drove around the Southern Island for about a month. Mixture of skiing and sightseeing, as well as a week in the backcountry with a guide. Got to Mt Hutt, Cheeseman, Craigeburn and The Remarkables (maybe one more too?). All good stuff. Others from NZ may be able to give you more info. As long as there's snow you can't go wrong.

Thanks Hotaka Scott; have doen a bit more investigating and seems I am spoilt for choice! Only have 8 days, although am tempted to try and extend the trip!

So far looking like Craigieburn/Mt Hutt/Broken river for the first few days... (even looking into a bit of heli-skiing, esp. if I cannot extend!... although Mrs Miteyak has her own opinions there)

Heading to Remarkables after that for a few days... still eveolving.

Will keep you posted and poss some pics through the trip... could be interesting as I find out if telemarking is like riding a bike! wink

Sounds like a good battle plan. Don't think you'd regret extending the trip - a few non ski days of sightseeing may keep Mrs happy.

Haven't tested the " riding the bike" hypothesis for tele but reckon you'll get it back after a few turns.

Lookin forward to the pics thumbsup