Hi there

Don't seem to be able to find this info, but is it possible to get to Marunuma Kogen (in Gunma) from the Tochigi/Nikko side? I see there is a road, Route 120, but wondering if it is open in winter.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there

Route 120 does indeed go past Marunuma and into Tochigi and on to Nikko but unfortunately the road crossing the border from Marunuma into Tochigi gets closed for the winter months. I wish it did open it would make Nikko visitable in winter for me!

Nice trip from Gunma into Tochigi using that road actually. thumbsup

A Question about the Nikko area.

When I was standing in the main street of Chuzenji Onsen last in February looked way up the hill behind the bus stop & I could see people skiing past right at the top. I could not see any way of getting there.

Does anybody know what that ski area is?

snowjunky. I really don't know.... from Chuzenji? How far away was it? The only skijo I think around there is the small Yumoto but surely thats not what you are meaning. Was it the main mountain rising above Chuzenji? If it was, there's no skijo on there I am pretty sure- must have walked it up. (Don't know the area that well)

There is a cc course up there - was it looking north from Chuzenji. Will post tomorrow with more on that need to refresh my memory and get the gf to read some kanji for me.

Hi Flip, Not sure on my compass directions there but I was standing on the pavement in front of the shopd and looking across the road up high above the Nikko Nature Museum. I seem to recall a small cable car near there also.

• 4 months later...