Japan heat & humidity watch - summer '09

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long long time ago, I drove my car into a pub carpark to get a last minute pint.

In the bar, "you a student?"

It was a pub next to a university campus and me the darkie just parked in the pub gardens.

"Yes, I'm a student"

Pissed nut: "so you think you're clever do you?

Me: "you don't need to be clever to be a student. Even you can be one if you wanted to".

Bullet must've went ziiiinnnnng ove his head.

He just said "well, I chose not to"

Oh to be living in Hokkaido.

I am jealous, pretty much throughout the year!!

Off to the US for 3 weeks next week.

Should be cooler.

See you after.

Mate,

Summer is not Summer without the heat and surf.

Humidity I can do without, but I get a bit depressed here in Germany.

Hot day, running on the sand down the beach into the water, ahhhhh...

Crystal barrels, catching waves.... fish'n chips, cold Bundy's ginger beer

Mate one of the main reasons I chose to live in Hokkaido is because of the climate and the relatively cool summers. I've never overly enjoyed heat, always preferred winter and have an obsession with snow. You didn't think I chose to live here because I like the Japanese people and their culture did you? razz

• 3 weeks later...

I think it has rained almost every day here for the past 6 weeks! It has been very hot on only a few days with other days being hottish - hot. Luckly the humidity here is not that bad most days and at night the temps drop off nicely with little or no humidity, something that doesn't happen in Tokyo.

Anyway not long now before the temps start dropping!

No-one seems to have mentioned, doesnt a not hot summer mean a bad winter? Suppose to be a snowy snowy winter after a hot hot summer isn't it?

Don't think the statistics really back up that weather myth. Looking back over the stats in Kutchan I very easily found plenty of examples of cooler summers leading to very snowy winters and warmer summers to low snowfall years. The snowiest year on record here, the winter of 69/70 followed a fairly cool summer.

Still it's really warmed up in Hokkaido over the last week. Yesterday saw temps exceed 30 through many inland areas and it looks set to do so again today. We don't get over 30 much here in Kutchan or if we do it's usually only just above. Can get a little uncomfortable though as none of us have airconditioners!

Sure do. Some of the beaches near Sapporo and Otaru are incredibly crowded at times. I usually go to some less crowded spots near Shakotan peninsula. Of course all the younger, single guys around here prefer going to the crowded beaches.