Apparently this year is going to be the one of the 3D Movie, the biggest one being James Cameron's "Avatar".

Booo! I say. I remember going to see Jaws 3D and coming out not only with a headache but also.... well, with a headache.

Do we still need to wear silly glasses?

I don't get it. Help me get it, if there is something to get.

Makes me want to puke.

I get really bad motion sickness anyway - and something about the 3D/3D glasses makes me feel like I am on a boat. Have not sat through one yet.

are there any good ones?

The latest Pixar one at Cannes shown as a feature. Could it be a conscious push for studios to produce more 3D.

Few year back, Joypolis in Takashimya Times Square had a 4D screen. The 3D glassses and a moving vehicle in which you sit. Pretty good turtle undersea cartoon too.

I studied that 3D technology a bit on my masters degree, though it was for still images not video. They called it stereoscopic imaging at that time.

To take the photos (no doubt identical process for video) you use two cameras and shoot two images at once. The cameras are only about 5cm apart (same as the gap between your eyes), so the images are pretty similar and the effect is very subtle.

To view the 3D ('stereo') images, you need a special PC monitor and you have to sit at a precise distance from it. No glasses needed. Not sure how that would work in a movie theatre though, maybe they use a slightly different projection technique.

They are already broadcasting 3D TV on NHK if you have BS and tune in late at night. You need a special TV to watch it properly of course.