OK, so last winter was cold with good precipitation.

Since then, apart from an occasionally warm spring, temperatures have been low in most places (they certainly have been in Nagano...)

The long term spin-the-bottle forecast for the Nagano area is claiming further heavy precipitation and low temperatures.

So if annual temperatures maintain an average each year, surely this can only mean one thing - a completely lousy next season. Grass poking through in January. 5 times out in the whole season, and none of them with powder. Resort closures.

So, what do you reckon? Any foolish predictions anyone?

Grass poking through in January. Nah, that would be unheard of.

I was speaking about this with some J friends over the weekend. They had heard that the August will be hot (!), and that the winter will be a severe one.

:p

Here's my not foolish predictions:

-Snow in October.

-Most resorts open in November, even those that usually have to wait until the end of December.

-5 meters of snow piled up at the sides of the roads in Hakuba.

-No snow falling when Rach visits Hakuba.

-Few crowds when Rach visits Hakuba.

-Win lots of lift tickets on SJ.

Interesting rach, I like it.

DumbStick, there's severe, and severe. Grass poking through is severe...

There have been some pretty bad seasons before now, or so my friends tell me.

Here's a prediction, although being deadline time i've not really fully investigated...

So far this year, the Osaka has been strange compared to the last seven, but more in keeping with the 'old' pattern of Japanese weather. The rainy season has seen lots of rain, no typhoons out of sequence, and last winter looked more like the 'old' way too, early snow, and lots of it.

Based on that, and the long slow cycle theory of regional weather variation, I predict an early, sever winter, a bit like last year. If the temperature shoots to 35ish at the end of this week in Osaka(as the rainy season departs), it will serve to reinforce my belief...

If not, well... wakaranai.gif \:D

I am predicting that some smart resorts will introduce some facilities to keep us cheesefans happy while we're enjoying the snow. Maybe some cheese stands on the slopes so people can get their fix. And a Cheese Restaurant and Souvenir shop in the resort main buildings.

Doing so will go a long way to making their businesses successful.

At the same time, the billions of cheesefans out there will be able to get their fix of delicious and nutritious food on the slopes.

Everyone is happy!

Pay rise and triple the holidays.

Snow falling at just the right times and in large quantities.

Long season.

All Japan season pass being a reality. (And costing 50,000 yen).

Wada Toge teleport system.

Quote:
Originally posted by big-will:

Wada Toge teleport system.
Man, you gotta let it go. I know it's hard, but ... just, let it go. " title="" src="graemlins/cry.gif" />

The locals up here are saying it all depends on the next month. (Yeah, right). If it's a scorching August, severe winter. If it's a mild August, mild winter.

Bile of pollocks if you ask me.

lol.gif

Ocean11 ... ranting ? That's an unlikely combination of words...

If that's how it turns out, I'll have my realistic enderdoll and I'll be sticking little toy ski poles in it.

r45,

The locals ALWAYS know best never underestimate 'em.

I remember while doing a season in the French Alps, it was coming toward the end of march, grass and mud everywhere. Everything was flagged, I'd f'cked my board up etc. There was about 6 people in the hotel I worked in (which normally had about 200).And all the locals SWORE that a big dump was coming.

"Zis dump will come every year wizowt fail..."

Needless to say a week of non stop hardcore air fluff fell, and the day before I went home after 5 and a half months of boarding, was the best Poweder day of my life!

Sorry Mr Matthews, but that doesn't apply to Japan!

Maybe in another era, where everything was predictable, but the wildly fluctuating patterns of recent years seem to have made the wisdom of ages somewhat redundant.

As for large final dumps when one thinks its all over, that appears to be a worldwide phenomenom. Just check out past April tears then cheers on this forum...

Yeah your right about the weather variations, the season I was talking about above we had a few days of 'brown snow' coz of a gigantic sand storm in Africa!

Nothin stranger than leaving white trails in your wake!

If it lasts into April this year, I'll be a happy bunny. Where is best to go in Gifu!?

Nuclear Missiles will fly creating a winter that lasts for hundreds of years. It will be a bit darker than normal and some or many may die but the snow will keep falling plunging the world into another ice age.