• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see the appeal of that one that comes apart.

How often are people going to use that?

And if you are going to type somthing you will need to find a place for both parts - it's not like tyhe ones that have a sliding keyboard which seems a much better idea to me.

Sounds awkward andsimply gimicky to me.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I still have no idea why people want a phone to do anything more than make phone calls wakaranai

Because they are useful for other purposed too.
I still have no idea why people want a phone to do anything more than make phone calls wakaranai

Because they might want to use other functionality that the phone offers.

Thereare simple ones out there too for people who don't need them.

Lets choicing the needs!

Yeah, and I still have no idea why people want a computer to do anything more than open my Word and Excel files. wakaranai

Can't quite see the need to access emails on a phone. A simple phone call is quicker, clearer and probably costs less, no?

I have all internet functionality including receiving emails disabled on my phone as that's what I have a computer for.

Even the most basic phones have address/contact book funtionality don't they? And they all have the time so you can do away with the need for a watch.

And klingon we have computers for gaming and viewing stuff on a screen bigger than a few cm's wide do we not?

Point is, Go Native, does it really matter? I may not really get why you don't take many showers, but hey if that's how you want to live...

If you don't want a phone with extra functionality - just don't use one! Some people use their own logic to decide that they do want such functionality, and in their minds find that functionality is useful to them, simple as.

And klingon we have computers for gaming and viewing stuff on a screen bigger than a few cm's wide do we not?

Hey, I really don't know. Is that your personal definition of what a computer is according to your own needs or is that some kind of official definition of what 'a computer' is and what it should do?

confused

GN - my internet is stuffed on my phone, and I have not made any steps to fix it coz I don't use it anyway really...

I had the internet blocked on my kids phones (to avoid scary bills!)

But Papa uses it on his phone, and get's all his emails (work is v important) on his phone. It means the office can be on the wake boat, or poolside while cheering the boy on in Brisbane, or anywhere else that allows us to have family time as well as be brilliant business people.

#2 son has an iPhone, and we found that handy to connect to the free wifi around the place when my laptop got smashed on our European vacation.

Different strokes for different folks and situations..

Can't quite see the need to access emails on a phone. A simple phone call is quicker, clearer and probably costs less, no?
I have all internet functionality including receiving emails disabled on my phone as that's what I have a computer for.
Even the most basic phones have address/contact book funtionality don't they? And they all have the time so you can do away with the need for a watch.

Sometimes I don't want to actually speak to someone and a mail or message is preferable.
Sometimes the person is not available but I need to send a message.
Sometimes I need to check a web page or two for work and I am often not in front of a computer.
Sometimes I need to check my work emails when I am not in front of a computer.
Sometimes I just want to do that for fun when I'm on a train or elsewhere with a bit of time of my hands.

I could go on but it seems your mind is already made up on the subject and, it doesn't really matter does it.

Sometimes people simply have different requirements.

The experience of using the internet on that new one compared to one I tried just 12 months ago is like comparing early dial up with modern broadband. Close to unusable a year ago, but a really a smooth experience now. I can see how it can be something really useful to have.

Originally Posted By: klingon

If you don't want a phone with extra functionality - just don't use one! Some people use their own logic to decide that they do want such functionality, and in their minds find that functionality is useful to them, simple as.

I'm just attempting to understand why people think they need all this extra functionality. In this country more than any other I've ever been to I see people spending large portions of their daily lives fidling with their phones. Not having the slightest urge to do so myself it intrigues me to understand the motivations.
I can understand some extra functionality from a business perspective like MB points out but in your everyday life just how connected do people need to be? I spent all day in front of a computer with access to the internet. I go home and have a computer with internet access. Do I want/need internet and email access every other second of the day? If you do I'm interested in understanding why.

I haven't said it's a bad thing or abused anyone for their choices. I just don't understand the need for phones with all this functionality and am attempting to do so. You don't all have to be so touchy about your weird phone use razz

Take a look at my post above (and similarly Mamabear's) to get some ideas.

I'm not one of these people who areconstantly fiddling with their keitais. That drives me nuts too. I simply use the functionality I want/need to use when and where. That's all.

I use maps/directions functionality a lot as well as the browser, great to have it for those journeys and waiting that I do every day.

Don't 'need' it all, but it's very useful and fun too.

ooohhhh... forgot about the maps.

As I said I don't have the internet function working on my phone, but last year when I needed to get to a new(to me) hotel in Canberra from the airport I printed off pages of maps from the internet before left, but didn't have to drag them out because one of my friends had a GPS function in her phone! Woo hoo. She followed the directions in the passengers seat and just directed me to turn right, turn left - here we are!

Now THAT was handy!

Great stuff to have:

maps/directions

internet

mail

music (replaced my ipod)

Don't use the phone bit much lol

There are some really great devices around now. thumbsup

One day I may see the light I guess. I'm not big on the uptake of technology, went years without getting a mobile phone even after they became popular and then finally realised how useful they are. Give me another few years and I may just be tempted to use my phone for something other than phone calls. Or maybe those of us living in beautiful places in the world rather than big polluted cities just have plenty of other things to occupy our time rather than living vicariously through our keitais razz