• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swine flu speads like wildfire in Kansai!

Quote:
Hyogo Prefectural Kobe High School is ground zero for the outbreak.

5 students are confirmed as having swine flu at Hyogo Prefectural Hyogo High School. This brings the total confirmed cases to 8.

Additionaly, there are 3 suspected cases in Higashi-harima and 2 suspected cases in Tajima.

10 students in Osaka also have swine flu.

The governor has declared a state of emergency and asked all residents to take precautions and avoid unnecessary travel.

Expect schools, events, and trips to be canceled. Cooperate as much as possible.

I am closer to Himeji but the local crappy market festival thing has been cancelled today. Expect media chaos this week.

I got an emergency email from my school yesterday while working at a T&F event, they said bc of the fact that our students live all over Kansai, there is a huge chance school will close. If it does, I wonder how long for?

I arrived at Narita yesterday, immigration staff wearing gloves, masks, plastic clothing, and heat cameras at the desks, or at least at the re-entry desks..... A friend came back from the states last week and said they phoned her later on to make sure she didn't have any symptoms.....

Local schools here are closed for the week by the city. This is fairly far away from Kobe, closer to Himeji.

I am now hoping my company calls, but knowing them nothing will even be said about it and we will have to ganbaru through as if nothing is going on.

I just went out to stock up on supplies in case everything hits the fan this week and we get ordered to stay indoors or supermarkets shut etc in the mass hysteria. Next few days should be interesting to see how contagious this strain is.

I'll be pixxed if I have to go to work becuase my wife will have to manage the two toddlers on her own every day this week and that = headaches for me in the evening.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
I'll be pixxed if I have to go to work becuase my wife will have to manage the two toddlers on her own every day this week and that = headaches for me in the evening.

They do grow up bobby wink

thats looking more and more likely Thurs...we are just under 1/3 being absent from school because they live in those "infectious" areas...I think we missed it by like a dozen kids or so. Had an emergency meeting at lunch today and are just waiting to see what happens with our kids these next few days. If we do miss 7 days of school it will cut into our summer break (possibly) to make up those missed classes; if thats the case then Id rather just have school. If we decide to just bugger those classes and make them up some other time, then Im game. Seems more of a hassle to miss classes than to have them. 'Sides we have mid-term exams next week which is a pretty chilled time anyways.

Kansai is starting to panic it feels like. Ive had a few parents wondering what they should do...use yer common sense I say.

Well I'm going to stay in, sleep, watch telly, eat snacks and maybe do something else.

(I live quite close to Kobe)

My prediction:

On thurs/fri the government announces that its just the flu and no need to overreact. Everyone should go back to school/work on monday and just be careful to wash hands, wear masks etc.

Classic comment of the morning, and it's only 9:20am:

The reason why it is spreading in Japan so quickly is because Japanese are hard workers (implying that they are more hardworking than foreigners).

You know the kind of dude that makes this comment. Yep, that's the one.

No he's just a guy in the office. What I meant was he's the the kind of guy who is amazed at you using chopsticks after 10 years, 'foreigners wouldn't understand', etc etc. There's probably one like him in most offices we work in -

Guess at the twisted logic:

Japanese people really work hard and are always out and about doing their business and being busy so increasing the chances of passing on infection.

(Have I been here too long?)

...and yet the paranoid Aussies seem to have forgotten all about it...

We are far more interested in Matthew Johns group sex fiasco, voting NO to Daylight Saving and doing phone polls to see if West Australian's would actually like thier shops to stay open until 9pm on weekdays...

I think come flu season we might have wished we were not so easily ditracted.