Originally Posted By: ger
Yeah, I see your point, Ezorisu. But anyway, if it does happen to start spreading in Japan, you'll see me in a face mask. If for no other reason, coz I don't want my 1 year old son getting it.

Make sure you get the right type. I heard one expert saying that the mask that most people are using is useless.
  • Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mamabear

Or your wife who has to look after your one year old.
Or you who has to provide for your family.

The reality is sniffles is one thing - big naasty flu's NO-ONE wants. Precautions are good.

Yeah, so there are other reasons. Several at least.

Actually though, while NHK news is talking about how the whole country is turning upside down, news elsewhere seems to indicate that this one isn't really gonna be that bad.

I'm gonna go check out some other threads....

Quote:
The swine flu outbreak may have originated in California, with a US health official saying that the possibility has not been ruled out.
"As we do our investigations here in the US, we may find that there were cases earlier," US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spokesman Scott Bryan said.

Several cases of infection were reported in California before the outbreak in Mexico, where the government has confirmed 427 cases of the disease as well as 16 deaths. The number of confirmed US cases stands at 226 spread across 30 states, including one death.

The first case discovered in California was a boy, 10, in San Diego County, which borders Mexico, who became ill on March 30 - before the outbreak in Mexico, The Wall Street Journal reported. A throat swab taken from the boy was sent for analysis to the CDC, which received samples on April 13 and determined the cause to be swine flu.

In a second case, a girl, 9, from a nearby California county was treated for a cough and a high fever on March 28. On April 17, tests confirmed the girl had the new strain, the Journal reported.

The children, who had not traveled to Mexico or come into contact with swine, have since recovered.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

US officials are starting to attempt to allay the fears of the public by stating that the virulence and symptoms of the H1N1 flu strain is not as bad as initially predicted. This is pretty much borne out by the stats.

The commercial US news networks are still however, going on like it's doomsday.

It's all about TV ratings and $$$.

This whole business will be forgotten by the end of next week, sort of like how Somali pirates have been this week.

Definitely seems as though this outbreak aint going to be all that bad. Very few deaths so far. Now if the death toll was already up in the 10's of thousands then we actually might have something to worry about. So anyway I'd say crisis over.

Japanese news programs are going off about the "first Japanese citizen to contract the swine flu". Guess it is a slow news day...

It's a 6-year-old kid who lives in Chicago, USA. It's not like it's a case on Japanese soil even, but from the way the news is reacting, you'd think a horrible outbreak has begun inside the borders already! The child is in hospital taking well to ongoing treatment, and none of the other members of his family have exhibited symptoms of the illness. Since there are no plans by the child or family to return to Japan in the immediate future, there is no cause for alarm.

If the flu arrives on Japaese shores, it will probably be from all those family members of Japanese working in Mexico that were sent home in the panic immediately surrounding the initial flu outbreak.

Saw something briefly in passing on the news this morning, but I didn't have a chance to check the news sites for the details. I think I heard that the PRC has detained 12 Japanese visitors on arrival and sequestered them away in some facility. This is in addition to detaining and warehousing visitors from Mexico, cutting off imports from Mexico, and deleting Mexico from some upcoming international conference in a few months.

Okay, there are 16 Japanese citizens being detained in quarantine in the PRC - 12 in Beijing, 3 in Xian, and 1 in Wuhan. They were all aboard the same Northwest flight 29 as the one Chinese dude who is currently the only confirmed case of Influenza A H1N1 on mainland China.