• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tubby I sort of agree with you about the media beat up but I guess it's best to err on the cautious side with these things. SARS was a ridiculous beat up though. It killed less than 1000 people worldwide! In the US alone over 1000 people die each week from the regular flu. Still one of these days a really bad one could come along, is the swine flu one of these? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Tubby I sort of agree with you about the media beat up but I guess it's best to err on the cautious side with these things. SARS was a ridiculous beat up though. It killed less than 1000 people worldwide! In the US alone over 1000 people die each week from the regular flu. Still one of these days a really bad one could come along, is the swine flu one of these? We'll have to wait and see I guess.

I have to agree, I wonder if the media aren't causing a lot of the frenzy. Two years we had a flu that was highly contagious and they were warning people not to go to the Brisbane Royal and Sporting Matches, so it does seem every year a bad flu does hit.

We are still being cautious though, Mr Snowhunter works in tourism and is in contact daily with 1000 of tourists and my niece is off on her Honeymoon next Sunday to Phuket (and is way to cool to wear a face mask doh)

Meh - couldnt give a monkeys - missus was bricking herself this morning when she found out that some high school kid 'caught' it.

me - I know that humans have a strong defence mechanism for H151 influenza or type A. And also the only person who died outside of Mexico was a young kid. And everyone else so far has recovered.

Kind of scary what a little virus can do to a small child, actually, and if it's a baby, well then there's no way to tell what's happening exactly because the patient can't tell you.

So, Swine flu? Yep, I can't help but be a little concerned. Kind of seems like they're jumping the gun a bit in Japan with asking all kids in Saitama to take their temperatures before going to school (according to the news today) and stuff like that but I'm glad to see them taking it seriously.

Word from inside the office of a health minister is the concern is for next year more than this year...however it is serious and not just media hype.

Mum is picking me up some face masks suitable for filtration of viruses and asbestos dust to keep on stand by in case (no time myself), life as normal - with the exception of bit of extra vigilence when illness strikes and a bit more attention to reminding kids to wash thier hands regularly, and not hang next to people that appear sick.

Actually, using Mexico as an example, there have been over 140 deaths in the recent flu outbreak, but only 15 have been confirmed to be related to the Influenza A H1N1 ("swine" flu) virus. That means that a significant number of people have died of "regular" flu.

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
Actually, using Mexico as an example, there have been over 140 deaths in the recent flu outbreak, but only 15 have been confirmed to be related to the Influenza A H1N1 ("swine" flu) virus. That means that a significant number of people have died of "regular" flu.

Well, it means they weren't able to confirm that it was the new flu. It started in Mexico -a developing country and lots of people had died before they got their shit together and knew what to look for.
Originally Posted By: kokodoko
Let's all PANIC!

omg where is my face mask, i am going to build a bomb shelter.. omg omg omg omg..

doh
I dont think it is panicking to make sure you have the right supplies SHOULD it outbreak in a big way. It is not paranoia, it is preparedness...
Mum picked me up a facemask each for the family when SARS was about, and that was about all we did - never wore them - never needed too - never lost a nights sleep over it.

There are some reports here at the moment suggesting people stockpile 2 weeks of food and water - now THAT is panicking - I mean PLEASE - there is an action plan, and it does not include closing grocery stores/businesses, it just extends hours so that they are less crowded (and hopefully people wear masks).

Having said that it is always worth having a few days of relatively easy foods to prepare in the house, in case you come down sick and cant get out. It is about this time every year I cook up a mean chicken soup from scratch and freeze it in meal and individual portiions, so when one of us inevitable succumbs to the winter sniffles it is at hand. Lot easier to cook such a labour intensive thing when you are well.
Originally Posted By: ger
Originally Posted By: Ezorisu

Well, it means they weren't able to confirm that it was the new flu. It started in Mexico -a developing country and lots of people had died before they got their shit together and knew what to look for.

Mexico pretty much has their stuff together with regards to this. They have been very proactive in control since this all started, and they have access to the same testing procedures to determine which strain of flu is involved as other modern countries.

Consider for a moment that it wasn't unusual for 200,000-300,000 people to die worldwide yearly from influenza or secondary complications just a couple of decades ago. Granted of course the majority of these deaths were in undeveloped or developing nations.

Yeah, I see your point, Ezorisu. But anyway, if it does happen to start spreading in Japan, you'll see me in a face mask. If for no other reason, coz I don't want my 1 year old son getting it.

Originally Posted By: ger
Yeah, I see your point, Ezorisu. But anyway, if it does happen to start spreading in Japan, you'll see me in a face mask. If for no other reason, coz I don't want my 1 year old son getting it.

Or your wife who has to look after your one year old.
Or you who has to provide for your family.

The reality is sniffles is one thing - big naasty flu's NO-ONE wants. Precautions are good.