• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Still really can't understand the whole concept of spending big $$$ on a [insert item here] or the need for one at all

insert item: jewellery, snowboard, skis, cellphone, cars, motorbikes, mtn bike, LCD TV, PS3, computer, jacket, shoes, handbag, ipod, overseas holiday, cigarettes, scotch whiskey, boat, jetski, purebred dogs, Bose earphones....

there is always something, different strokes for different folks

Quote:
but hey if it makes you happy that's all that matters thumbsup

exactly.
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: SG

insert item: jewellery, snowboard, skis, cellphone, cars, motorbikes, mtn bike, LCD TV, PS3, computer, jacket, shoes, handbag, ipod, overseas holiday, cigarettes, scotch whiskey, boat, jetski, purebred dogs, Bose earphones....

Thing is I wouldn't lump all these into the same category. Things like watches, jewelery, handbags, etc don't enhance your experiences in life. Having an expensive ring doesn't mean you can now do something that you couldn't beforehand.
A new pair of skis on the other hand can improve your skiing significantly.
Obviously though many people take pleasure in having basically useless, expensive trinkets. Or if not entirely useless they could get a much cheaper brand that would do the same thing just as well. I must admit to not really understanding why. I assume it's some sort of ego thing.

Ahhh...I wouldnt presume that it is all about ego GN... I can certainly see how people can value a quality time piece, or a appreciate a beautiful ring - particularly if there is meaning attached (such as an engagement ring).

However I am much more likely to spend money on things to enhance my expereince of life, 'doing things' items, usable items - than adornment. But my hubby and my friends all think I am miserly for it .... to me the questions is WHY? rather than Why not? when I consider a purchase.

Some might say that a decent watch is an investment as a salaryman such as I am. Especially in my company, a superficial appearance of hard-work and success tends to breed more success. Whereas the guys who come in with ill fitting clothes and the same tie everyday never get promoted. One may not like it, but it is a reality you either accept and thrive in, or reject in favor of other consequences.

Anyway, I think my watch looks badass, has practical use, and makes me feel good so its worth every of the 35000 (which is not very much anyway for a watch). biggrin

I guess since I've turned my back on the whole idea and concept of career, such things don't really occur to me. I came to Japan to get away from all that!

• 1 month later...

wavey

Can you keep a secret??

Papabear is 40 in November, born the 18th November 1969. And I just managed to buy him a 1969 blue face Rolex.

groovy

I am pretty excited about that.

Normally we dont go overboard on gifts, but 40 is special, and so is he.

..depends on the watch, depends on the condition, depends on whether there is a box and certificate... varies WIDELY.

But I got this one for about half what he spent on a brand new one in Zermatt in Janaury - still a decent sum, but not the $30,000 US I saw for one 1969 Rolex a few months back.

I just got lucky that this particular one on offer is in an understated classic style very much to his tastes. I know he will love it, and I didnt have to take out a second mortgage on the house to get it! That's always a bonus smile

Nice watch.

I'm not one for having multiple watches though.....I don7t see the point of it. I know not every watch will suit every situation but for me its mostly about being able to tell the time so I buy one that I like and just use that until it falls off.

I'm sure he'll love it though MB thumbsup

Yeah, TB same here. In my case every watch I put on either stops or gets broken, lost, one way or the other... I'm prety good at guessing the time.

I have a childhood friend who loves watches. Can say he is a collector of expensive fine watches.

Most of them are like Y2,000,000 . I say to him you wear an Automobile on your wrist.

He is the head of investments so the success-dress factor is big for him and his clients.

This is especially true in the business world, people do check out the shoes and watches of others wear. There are hostesses in Tokyo who can tell how good your suit is by just touching the fabric - now, that is impressive!

I was having thoughts of my nephews $10 Rolex (shipped over from Hong Kong) that is gold with a blue face. It looks terrible. Though I must say surprisingly like the real Rolex it is impersonating.

This one is much more understated.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
We need pics!

OK
here 'tis.
rolex.jpg

When you take it to Rolex for routine cleaning and oiling, you can ask them to align the crown on the "winder" to point upwards, perpendicular to the face.

Nice watch thumbsup

For the life of me still can't quite grasp any of the excitement generated by this purchasing of a watch...

Nor do I understand this whole thing of passing on a watch to your kids. Personally I'd be hoping for something a hell of a lot more substantial than a watch from an inheritance I can tell you! razz

I hope I can afford to get my son a decent watch when he turns 18 (I hope more I would consider him trustworthy enough to look after it)