1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

At this moment, 7man would be the most I could justify on a watch.

But I guess a luxury watch is an investment and as long as you dont lose/break it you will get value for money on it eventually. Its like a diamond necklace, you can buy it and wear it all your life, then sell it when you get old for roughly what you paid for it. Its like getting a free diamond necklace to show off all your life (assuming you have the spare capital to buy it in the first place). This compares favourably with cars and houses. The Indians are smart with their dowries.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bobby you are right about them being like jewellery - mens jewellery.

Papa has one new Rolex that he bought in Zermatt, but his goal over the decade is to gather in 3 more, so that he gets the pleasure of wearing them and then has one each to give to the boys when the time comes.

My Pop passed his Seiko's on to my father - and they are just fabulous - timeless elegance, but the age of them makes them a conversation piece.

I would dearly love to source a 1969 Rolex for Papa for his 40th in November - but I am not having much luck. So far I have only found one online in the UK and by the time I made queries about it it had sold. I suppose really I should have looked a year or two ago for a 1969 model as it will be the popular year for retro for 40th gifts this year, and in short supply! <doh!>

Mens watches never used to interest me, but since trolling so many watch vendors for the elusive 1969 model I have come to be quite interested.

Damn you all!

Until this thread, I had never really had any strong urges to buy an expensive watch.

My interest has been nudged into action now and I have found myself looking at them (and :eeking: at the cost too!)

lol

Got to admit I do not particularly like all those expensive Rolex and Omega types. I would much rather see something a bit different (not meaning cheap there), show a bit of individuality.

friend

I used to teach a guy who owned his own accounting firm - plenty of cash burning a hole in his pocket and had a love of watches. He knew I liked watches and used to wear them all and its the one topic he could actually speak quite well on (his English was pretty weak mostly)

He had a omega speedmaster, a patek philippe, a grand seiko, an 18K gold rolex, antother rolex and the watch he used to wear the most: a simple Seiko titanium kinetic. Its like having a garage of supercars and luxury cars yet driving a Toyota everyday.

this thread has got me a surfing watch websites there are some beautiful timepieces out there. I think I might have found my "precious" today. A Seiko spring drive chronograph.

04_01_sd.jpg

I looked at that one SG, looks good, but seems thick, like it would suck wearing it with a dress shirt. I didnt try it on so I dont know. There was a Seiko that was about 20man that looked just like the Speedmaster. Quite sexy.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Thats why I like Grand Seiko, its quality without following the crowd.

Yodobashi have all the watches Im interested in in stock thumbsup

they have an Omega Speedmaster for 158,000 - I almost walked out with it. Had to fight off temptation horse

Originally Posted By: bobby12

The bottom one is a fair bit pricier than the other two, but it has more 'jewels' (whatever they do),

actually going back to your original post about Jewels. Jewels are used at points of friction as they are much harder than metal and they can be made extremely smooth to reduce friction with the the metal part they are in contact with - which is key in complicated designs with many moving parts.
They use rubies, sapphires, garnet and diamonds.

The more jewels, the more complicated your watch likely is, the less friction it will have and the smoother it will run and also the longer it will last.
Though some unscrupulous watchmakers will over-jewel their watches unnecessarily making the punters think more jewels is always better - kind of like the more megapixels on digital cameras is "always better"

also dont confuse Jewels and Quartz. Quartz clocks and watches apply a electric current to a quartz crystal that vibrates at an extremely constant rate (32khz) and this resonation is used to regulate the timekeeping of the watch or clock making it very accurate.
Atomic clocks use the same principle but instead measure oscilltions of caesium atoms which vibrate at 9Ghz which make them unbelievable accurate.

this is my Seiko. can be used at 200m under the sea!

Have used it in many of the oceans of the world. Its been in for a fix twice in about 13 years.

-!Seiko%20Kinetic%20Dive%20Watch%20Stain

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
I looked at that one SG, looks good, but seems thick, like it would suck wearing it with a dress shirt.

since all shirts in Japan barely reach my wrist, it wouldn't be a problem, it would always be on the outside on show!
razz

Stemik - nice watch, clean yet bold face.

CB - that is cheap, would have been nice huh? what is better a trip to Nepal or a watch you can keep forever? evilgrin

Bobby have fun on Friday checking out the watches. Don' blow your budget veryshocked

sg - thanks for the jewel info.

stemik, interesting you post that one as I just found this little baby which is similar. I love it, it costs 32man though:

SD001.jpg

Spring Drive and GMT on it smile

But, despite being Titanium it weights 172g!!! :(

Originally Posted By: SG
what is better a trip to Nepal or a watch you can keep forever? evilgrin

mmm a trip that will give you an amazing life experience, the memories of which will last a lifetime or something that hangs on your wrist...I know which I'd choose! evilgrin