• Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>CB, think of it as an investment. Effectively, I got paid to wear the Sub.

Thurs, yeah, thats exactly what it is. My dad had the same (?) Rolex as in the picture I put above over 20 years ago, but it got stolen in Hawaii. So, he got a new one and looks like the same model as before. I dont know how good it is, but I like the way it feels. That is something that I would like to have, and then be able to give my son, or grandson as an heirloom.

Rolex and Omegas = thumbsup

I've never quite understood the need for a watch and thus have never owned one. I spend most of the day in front of a computer that keeps the time probably better than any watch ever will and my mobile also keeps the time. Just wondering why people feel they need one. Is it just a fashion accesory and a way to show how much spare money you have to waste?

Go Native:

I was thinking like you the last 12 months but now I am starting to feel like getting one for these reasons:

- Need to know the time sometimes when out and about, in a meeting etc

- I dont wear any jewellry, so a watch is the one item I can wear. Therefore, worth getting someing decent I can feel good about wearing.

- A cheap watch makes you look cheap in some peoples eyes, conciously or subsconsiously.

- I want something to give my son when I pass away (I'll get a Grand Seiko for that purpose when I'm older/can afford it easier)

Thursday:

Its not really divers watch then if it doesnt have the air dial. For practical reasons its better to have the GMT dial, but it kind of defeats what a divers watch was designed for.

Im gonna look at some watches in person on friday. Then I'll probably buy watch#2 above in black strap/metal rather than the brown/gold pictured.

Air dial looks like this:

SEIKO-SKX025J2.jpg

Numbers go 0-60 instead of 0-24.

By the way I used to have that watch above up until 2 years ago but I seem to have lost it :(

Originally Posted By: thursday
present one
116520b-1.jpg

Last one was
rolex_submariner2.jpg

I wore that everyday for 11 years before I sold it at twice the price I paid for it. Now, what watch can do that?

Bobby, Seiko did a pretty good copy job no? The Submariner is over 50 years old.

thursday is right that one you posted CB is the GMT master with the 24 hour hand. I have a cheap imitation one of those that doesnt say Rolex, nor does it have the 24 hour hand but people have commented on it thinking it was the real McCoy!

Speaking of Rolex divers watch, the ultimate dive watch that deep sea saturation divers on oil rigs covet is the 'Sea Dweller'.

676px-Rolex_deepsea.jpg

look at the depth rating dial - it a serious piece of equipment! dudes have used this in water deeper than 500m.

that is seriously good shit. Helium escape valve so the watch doesn't explode (or implode should it desire to post on SJ)

And yet it's only a little pricier than the Submariner. Bargain.

>Im gonna look at some watches in person on friday. Then I'll probably buy watch#2 above in black strap/metal rather than the brown/gold pictured.

Bobby, I know youre really far from Umeda, but Yodobashi has a great collection of watches, prolly one of the nicest and largest around the Kansai area smile

Thanks for the tip. Im free friday afternoon and was going to look in Kobe but I could easily go to Osaka.

In the long run I want to get this one, but Im saving it for my 40th birthday or 10th wedding anniversary:

02.jpg

The movements in these Grand Seikos are supposed to be as good as anything on the planet, if not better. From a design point of view, that watch is perfect I think. It has GMT, calendar and power bar but they are not in your face. Its probably too heavy/big though in real life.

that last one is a very nice watch Bobby12, Seiko spring drive is a work of precision art.

skip to about 4 mins in that video to see the magnificent intricacy of the spring drive.

I concur with CB, Yodobashi does have a huge watch section, BIC camera in Namba has a decent sized one too. I like to drool on the display cases every now and then.

If money was no issue I would like to have a Breguet Dress watch. If Breguet was good enough for Marie-Antoinette, Louis XVI, Napoleon Bonaparte, George IV, Tsar Alexander I of Russia, George III, Ferdinand VII of Spain

Louis XVIII, Queen Victoria, George Washington, Sir Winston Churchill, Ettore Bugatti, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Edward VIII , Nicolas Sarkozy, Dmitry Medvedev, Leo Tolstoy, Aristotle Onassis, Victor Hugo, Prince Charles among others it's good enough for me!

WBr8_7137BA119V6.jpg

If I was inclined to get a watch then this would be the baby for me. Actually has a few more uses than just telling the time and being some extension of my ego!

x10M350.jpg

Features & Specifications

Altimeter: altitude, vertical speed, altitude alarm, thermometer

Barometer: Sea level pressure, absolute pressure, weather trend graph, temperature, weather alarm

Compass: Bearing, graphic compass rose, bearing tracking

GPS: Resolution 1m / 3 ft, 12 channels

Watch: Calendar, 3 alarms with date option, dual time, stopwatch

Menu-based user interface familiar from mobile phones

Water resistant to 30 m (100 ft)

Power supply: USB cable and a universal power supply

PC interface software + USB cable

Full access to SuuntoSports.com

I bought a Suunto for Papa for Christmas, and he wore it as his everyday watch (didnt have to take it off for wakeboarding or snowboarding or whatever he so chose) - he only replaced it for smart events with his dress watch, but on one of those times it disappeared. :(

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Thanks for the tip. Im free friday afternoon and was going to look in Kobe but I could easily go to Osaka.

my pleasure. I was in Sannomiya a few weeks ago and looked at two watch stores there. They had quality watches, but lacked in quantity to compare different styles of said watch company. Yodobashi has, from what I have been able to find, the biggest selection. Will be heading there later today after work to look at getting a new Mac. Would it be helpful if I found the prices on those watches youre looking at?

GN,

my heart rate monitor is Suunto. I love it, other than the color of it, but I got it off SAC for pennies so I really cant complain. I use it on average 2x/week for the last 3-4 years and have had no probs. I just wish it was one model up and had those functions you listed.

CB: Thanks for the offer but it's OK - I will get my wife to call them as there are about 5 I would like to compare. I have friday afternoon to kill anyway so I will do a trawl of various shops.

I also want to get one for my mums 50th. My local shop had 2 of the 3 I like in stock, but when I saw them in person I didnt like them. The gold plating looks like crap (this is why I have gone of the gold ones pictured above in favor of the metal version). Im looking to pay 3 or 4man for an everyday Seiko that my mum can wear to work, not too dressy, should be comfortable. Probably one of the Sekio Lukia range.

Originally Posted By: SG

If money was no issue I would like to have a Breguet Dress watch. If Breguet was good enough for Marie-Antoinette, Louis XVI, Napoleon Bonaparte, George IV, Tsar Alexander I of Russia, George III, Ferdinand VII of Spain
Louis XVIII, Queen Victoria, George Washington, Sir Winston Churchill, Ettore Bugatti, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Edward VIII , Nicolas Sarkozy, Dmitry Medvedev, Leo Tolstoy, Aristotle Onassis, Victor Hugo, Prince Charles among others it's good enough for me!

WBr8_7137BA119V6.jpg

Dunno, Sarkozy has sleazed it up
Originally Posted By: thursday
I got a Lukia for my wife at her request last time in Sapporo. Then she got herself another one in Kyoto. She hordes them I think.

Why not get another? 3 is a bigger number than 2.
Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
I have a really cool 80's style digital watch, complete with calculator buttons.
thumbsup

haha retro....I like it!!! thumbsup

GN, I like to wear a watch for both reasons, I like to know the time and I like to wear a fashionable watch. My watch is what I consider to be expensive, but not in the league of these other watches above!! I guess mines is cheap and nasty by comparison!! hehe. I wouldn't pay that much for a watch, my watch is at the top limit of what I'm willing to pay for a watch.