I am a fan of slim and petite look ladies, but more the type that can be seen walking round Tokyo.... when it gets tooo thin it just gets spookily skeletonian. (Is that a word?) Theres just a point where thin becomes just 'ridiculously thin'. Interestingly I feel quite a few Japanese chaps border on this stick instect look more than the ladies.

I seen 'worse' than the girl in the photo below but she's the one currently causing the fuss.

Quote:
Australia's Miss Universe contest was thrown into controversy yesterday when doctors and dieticians complained a losing finalist was "skin and bones" and dangerously malnourished.

Fellow finalists branded Stephanie Naumoska, 19, "too bony", according to the Herald Sun newspaper.

Naumoska was one of 32 contestants who made the final at an event aimed at promoting "healthy, proportioned, bodies". She is 1.8m (5ft 11in) tall and weighs 49 kg (7st 8lb), with a body mass index of 15.1, beneath the benchmark for malnutrition.

Rosanna Capolingua, a Perth GP and Australian Medical Association president, told the paper: "The most unhealthy part about it, though, is the image it is showing other young women who may view this as normal, when clearly it is not."

Sydney-model-Naumoska-pos-001.jpg

Numbers aside my Japanese lady friend doesn't have many kg on here frame but she doesn't go the way of the stick insect.

You know I have a few Japanese friends who are very very thin. There is totally no way they are malnourished - no kidding, I'm sure they eat more than me! I am often astonished at where it goes.

Sorry, but this girl is seriously skinny! She should never have made it to the finals.

The image shown above shows a serious lack of coverage of the hip bones. Other images shown in Oz, on TV news, show a similar lack of coverage of ribs and vertebral bones. The kid is around 180cm tall and should have a somewhat larger weight than her claimed 58kg!

God she's skinny! I have to say that she doesn't actually look that unhealthy - which makes her a bit of a freak.

We certainly don't want normal girls trying to emulate her look!

Maybe the judges need a bit of retraining in what beautiful is. It would be a bit harsh if you had to fit a certain shape just to enter. But it may have to happen.

She looks freaky.

I don't know about the healthy bit but I wouldn't all that proportioned body.

Looks like she's been fasting for a few weeks... Miss yoga fasting competition?

And she seems very proud of her svelte frame.

Does anyone find this attractive?

She looks to me like she needs a hospital bracelet and a nasogastric feed tube..

Plenty girls doing silly things to try and look like girls like her - but she has made the finals because SOMEONE voted her through - someone thought that was BEAUTIFUL, and enough someones to send messages to young girls less blessed with speedy metabolisms who are now gonna be sticking fingers down thier throats.

Model feeling bad about herself (was eating for the camera to try and prove she is not anorexic last night), girls not sure what message is being sent...no good news here at all.

She doesn't do it for me. I prefer a tad bit more meat!

She was saying she was 52kg. Some of the other girls in the contest would have been only a few kg heavier but not as tall which makes them look not so skeletonish.

Originally Posted By: Journey Man
God she's skinny! I have to say that she doesn't actually look that unhealthy...

Ok, I take that back.

I just had a look at the Daily Mail article and the other comp photos make her look unhealthily skeletal, especially when you compare them with some of her earlier shots. She's not a well chick.

The organisers should be taken to task for including her, especially when shes so obviously underweight. Saying that it is part of her heritage is a weak cop out.