For all our ex-pats in the world of Japow, how will you (or rather will you) be honouring ANZAC Day tomorrow?

I will be flat strap with work - a few oilves to squash into oil for a couple of clients of my press. I'll spare a thought in the morning for the diggers (and all other nation's soldiers) who've died at the bequest of their government.

Plan to do a trip to Gallipoli one day, possibly also visit the start of the Kokoda Track in PNG.

Not a Public Holiday, since it falls on a Saturday.

Lest we forget! sadface

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the day of rememberence for all Australian and New Zealand servicemen and women, the sacrifices they have made, and the work they have done on our behalf.

Serious stuff.

Papa is an ex-10th lighthorse man, so he rarely misses a dawn service.

Everything shut here in Perth (as should be) and we will be baking ANZAC biscuits with the kids and talking about why/who/our family connections etc. It is a good thing.

In WA we have a public holiday on Monday - I dont think that is necessary - things shut on Saturday, by making Monday a public holiday it just gives people a long weekend - and while there is nothing wrong with that I think it dilutes the reason for ANZAC day a little.

I will be attending the dawn service again this year then off for an early surf.

JA, I made the 'pilgrimage' to Gollipoli 20 years ago. Not on Anzac day though. Just a cold deserted landscape that day. I found a Turkish bullet (which I still have).

Lest we forget.

I spent 6 and bit years in the Army. ANZAC Day always meant standing around in the cold and dark and a cenotaph some where followed by a parade somewhere. It is a big deal and getting bigger. But for all that it is a very worthy thing there is a clear manufactured aspect to it which is a bit much IMHO. I love this song by the Pogues. Kind of sums up the stupidity of the whole King and Country ideals of the time.

Now when I was a young man I carried me pack

And I lived the free life of the rover.

From the Murray's green basin to the dusty outback,

Well, I waltzed my Matilda all over.

Then in 1915, my country said, "Son,

It's time you stop ramblin', there's work to be done."

So they gave me a tin hat, and they gave me a gun,

And they marched me away to the war.

And the band played "Waltzing Matilda,"

As the ship pulled away from the quay,

And amidst all the cheers, the flag waving, and tears,

We sailed off for Gallipoli.

And how well I remember that terrible day,

How our blood stained the sand and the water;

And of how in that hell that they call Suvla Bay

We were butchered like lambs at the slaughter.

Johnny Turk, he was waitin', he primed himself well;

He showered us with bullets, and he rained us with shell --

And in five minutes flat, he'd blown us all to hell,

Nearly blew us right back to Australia.

But the band played "Waltzing Matilda,"

When we stopped to bury our slain,

Well, we buried ours, and the Turks buried theirs,

Then we started all over again.

And those that were left, well, we tried to survive

In that mad world of blood, death and fire.

And for ten weary weeks I kept myself alive

Though around me the corpses piled higher.

Then a big Turkish shell knocked me arse over head,

And when I woke up in me hospital bed

And saw what it had done, well, I wished I was dead --

Never knew there was worse things than dying.

For I'll go no more "Waltzing Matilda,"

All around the green bush far and free --

To hump tents and pegs, a man needs both legs,

No more "Waltzing Matilda" for me.

So they gathered the crippled, the wounded, the maimed,

And they shipped us back home to Australia.

The armless, the legless, the blind, the insane,

Those proud wounded heroes of Suvla.

And as our ship sailed into Circular Quay,

I looked at the place where me legs used to be,

And thanked Christ there was nobody waiting for me,

To grieve, to mourn and to pity.

But the band played "Waltzing Matilda,"

As they carried us down the gangway,

But nobody cheered, they just stood and stared,

Then they turned all their faces away.

And so now every April, I sit on my porch

And I watch the parade pass before me.

And I see my old comrades, how proudly they march,

Reviving old dreams of past glory,

And the old men march slowly, all bones stiff and sore,

They're tired old heroes from a forgotten war

And the young people ask "What are they marching for?"

And I ask meself the same question.

But the band plays "Waltzing Matilda,"

And the old men still answer the call,

But as year follows year, more old men disappear

Someday, no one will march there at all.

Waltzing Matilda, waltzing Matilda.

Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me?

And their ghosts may be heard as they march by the billabong,

Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda with me?

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
It is the day of rememberence for all Australian and New Zealand servicemen and women, the sacrifices they have made, and the work they have done on our behalf.

Serious stuff.
Papa is an ex-10th lighthorse man, so he rarely misses a dawn service.
Everything shut here in Perth (as should be) and we will be baking ANZAC biscuits with the kids and talking about why/who/our family connections etc. It is a good thing.

In WA we have a public holiday on Monday - I dont think that is necessary - things shut on Saturday, by making Monday a public holiday it just gives people a long weekend - and while there is nothing wrong with that I think it dilutes the reason for ANZAC day a little.

Mamabear,

This day is obviously a big thing for your family. Please don't think my cynical comments were directed at you and yours....wasn't the 10th LH one of the units in Peter Weir's film? It was more of a comment about the way the mythology of the ANZAC has been built up and is dragged out at any opportunity. There were worse campaigns/battles, it wasn’t the first time Australians fought as a nation and they fought under the Union Jack, in any case. The nation defining aspects are a bit hard to beleive. On the other hand the personal aspects and accounts of the men there are unbelivable.

For my bona fides - I was in Gallipoli Company at Duntroon - "Beach Sprint Champions, 1915!" and one of Dad's uncles fought on the Western Front, even managed to survive being wounded in no man's land. Found himself a Scottish lass to marry during his covalence leave.

Actually, Gimpy mate, that song is originally by Eric Bogle (see original lyrics ).

Yep, agree that it sums up the insanity of war, However, if someone is prepared to attack my country, I'll be there to defend it, never fear!

BTW, I spent 10 years in the ARES (Army Reserve) in Armoured Corps, did the catafalque parties for every one of those years.

well don't6 complain too much coz we ain't got one in NSW!
We celebrate the queens Bday but not for anzac day??? WTF>

Actually, Indo, I agree with Mama (now, there's a surprise!) the Holiday should be on the day it falls (as should the pseudo birthday of Lizzie AKA Mrs Phil the Greek).

As a Japanese Aussie, I'd like to tell you that I have been treated well and respectfully on ANZAC days.

Once in the past, I accidently took a small group of Japanese visitors to a RSL on Anzac day (it was a small town, I am trying hard to recall where it was) because there wasn't anywhere else to go and eat. We were received surprisingly well. People were surprised, but took us as guests and made it special for all there...

Great song but a little dated now, in particular this line

Quote:
And the young people ask "What are they marching for?"

The Young people of Australia have really taken on the spirit and meaning of Anzac Day more than the generations of the 60's to the early 90's. For some reason they just get it. I was listening to a group of my sons friends the other day all planning their Anzac Day, as a teen I never had such commitment.

My kids were both in the Air Force Cadets and the proudest day of the year was ANZAC Day, they would be up before dawn and standing on post at the memorial for the Dawn Service, they would then travel to the base in Wagga for Breakfast before joining the march through town to the War Memorial for the main service.

My daughter now recently turned 17 has joined the Navy and my sone 19 the Air Force, both will be up before Dawn tomorrow and marching again, but this time for the first time as members of the Defence Force for real.

Gimp - I certainly dont take any offence to what you say. I have very vivid memories of FREEZING before dawn in my girl guide uniform and then spending the next week in bed with a cold as a girl.

Papa was a reservist as well - 10th LH no longer use horses wink - never saw active duty, but would have if the need arose.

I think our youth are pretty good at understanding the message these days too.

I'm glad to hear that Mamabear.

BTW - 10th LH have a good pedigree. Papa would know for sure but I'm pretty certain not only were they at Gallipoli (fought at the Nek, no less) but they were featured also in Peter Weir's movie of the same name - back before Mel Gibson's Mad Max days. Of course, like most regional units they became a reserve unit nothing to be sneezed that though.

I like the way ANZAC day has become important for younger people. When I was young it seemed like an oldies thing and kind of conservative or reactionary, therefore the message didn't really get through as it should have.

Now it's really about paying respect to the very young people who have fought and died rather than being about 'the establishment'. Actually, it's always been about that but these days it's presented more clearly in that respect-good thing.

Originally Posted By: JA
Actually, Indo, I agree with Mama (now, there's a surprise!) the Holiday should be on the day it falls (as should the pseudo birthday of Lizzie AKA Mrs Phil the Greek).

JA, I'm not arguing about ANZAC day. It's today and that's when it should be remembered.
There's alot of confusion in NSW with the day this year as teachers have decided they'll take the day on monday, and various others have too when it is not a public holiday.

My Q is why the hell do we get a day off for the Queens birthday (which isn't even her birthday!)

its really good to see that Aussies and Kiwis are proud of the ANZAC's and attend dawn service..(even Hakuba had a dawn service this morning.

I attended rememberance day in the UK as well as in Japan but hardly any young ones except the cadets.

Well done the Aussies

Originally Posted By: Indo

well don't6 complain too much coz we ain't got one in NSW!
We celebrate the queens Bday but not for anzac day??? WTF>

yeah, never understood why in Oz you get a public holiday for the Queens bday and yet in Britain we get Sweet FA!!