Anyone with any good "dealing with noisy neighbours" strageties. Couple with 2 young'uns moved in next door last month and at times the noise is driving me mad. I understand little kids are not going to be quiet all the time and I can put up with so much but at the same time I didn't sign up to have to deal with them day in day out tearing round the flat next door seemingly totally uncontrolled. I thought it might calm down but isn't and it is starting to right royally piss me off!

grandpa

I sympathize snowboarder.

Alas, some poeple on the amazing feat of becoming parents, seem to think that the whole world and everyone in it should adjust without question to their new found reality. They don't even begin to consider it to be selfish.

By no means all of course but those people sure do exist. friend

Perhaps mention it to them and they might give you some thought from time to time.

Kids = noise.

I have always tried to have mine behave and keep the ddisruption to others to a minimum, but we are in the fortunate Aussie lifestyle position of when we are home, they are not usually impinging on other people - no apartment style living! Hotels etc we clamp down on antics. But kids cant be raised being quiet all the time - they end up with serious issues and tell therapists all about it for years afterwards!! LOL

Here a suggestion.

Every time the noise of the kids gets too much for you, turn your music up LOUD. Keep an ear out for them every half hour or so, and when they quieten down, then turn the music down. They should get the message. If Mum comes over demanding you consider your neighbours you can easily answer with "So sorry, was just trying to drown out the noise of your kids yelling and screaming..."

Good one might try that though I might just talk to them anyway.

I do totally understand that kids aren't going to be quiet all the time and I really think that I am quite tolerant. But this is sometimes just going way too far I believe, it's over the top.

And as I said, I didn't sign up for any of it, it is all being imposed on me.

Basically you got to deal with the parents....

When I was a kid and playing at a friends house and we got a bit noisy, the old ones down stairs would bang their ceiling with a mop handle. Parent told us to keep it down...

The music one sucks because the others have to put up with the kids noise plus the crappy music selection you have made.... ones music is not to other's taste

You need to deal with this before they move in. When they are coming round looking at the place, but on your goth rags and play extremely loud music and do other naughty things like swear and pick your nose in the entrance. That'll put them off, hence no moving in and no kids.

So, you're too late. wink

But good luck!

I think you just have to put up with it.

Parents cant work miracles and the kids will be noisy either way. You will just make an enemy of them by moaning about it.

[spot the parent with two toddlers in his house!]

So if I very politely tell them that their kids are really affecting my lifestyle and if they can please try at certain times to keep it down a bit, I will make an enemy of them? How utterly unreasonable and selfish is that? wakaranai

Originally Posted By: bobby12

Parents cant work miracles and the kids will be noisy either way. You will just make an enemy of them by moaning about it.
[spot the parent with two toddlers in his house!]

Be like that and I would be tempted to cause you as much as hassle as you were causing me.

Daytime sleepy times for babby? Sorry mate, it's my Metallica time!

Actually I wouldn't do that but it would be tempting in response.

Would be hard for a parent to keep their kids quiet in a small apartment.

BEst thing is not to let it annoy you too much, easier said than done I know but expecting that a few young kids will sit down and be quiet for long periods in a small confined space is just as hard!

Good luck

PS. get a pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones!

Originally Posted By: snowboarder
And as I said, I didn't sign up for any of it, it is all being imposed on me.

waveWelcome to the thing called "society". You may not have signed up for it, but it came your way anyway, and short of moving out there isn't much you can do other than "just dealing with it" unless you engage the other party.

I'm sure that if you mention it to the parents in a friendly, non-confrontational way, they would try to do something about it with in their ability to do so (these are kids after all). Be nice and they'll react nicely.

Are you averse to actually going over and talking with them? I'm surprised they didn't come over to introduce themsleves when they moved in...
Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
Welcome to the thing called "society".

You sound like my 70 year old dad.....

If the noisy brats don't shut up with the Metallica just clip 'em round the earholes with your slipper.

(Make sure it's not the toilet slippers though).

wink

It's a tough one and in a lot of respects you just have to deal with it living in apartments. I used to have a neighbour laying down his lame vocals to beats upstairs from me "Taninimachi-ni-chome kara!,," lol That was in a city apartment and I used to make as much noise as I wanted as well. Now, with two kids we are worried about the noise they make and always try to stop them creating a racket.

When the people upstairs moved in they came to say hello and apologised in advance for the noise their three boys aged 1-4 would make. They were clearly relieved to see we had a baby and toddler and I we told them we didn't care about the noise (guilty as hell ourselves!). The ones downstairs have kids banging out tunes on the piano so it kind of evens out. Babies to either side as well, so we are lucky. Even so we'd feel better in a more soundproof place.

I hope your neighbours are considerate types. Maybe they're trying hard to keep the kids quiet, it isn't easy when they're little.

Originally Posted By: ShinyDiscoBall
Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
Welcome to the thing called "society".

You sound like my 70 year old dad.....

wink

lol Thanks! Does that make me a member of the Crusty Oyaji Club now?

How about buying a rooster? When the neighbors come over to complain about the incessant crowing, you can complain about their annoying kids!
Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Basically you got to deal with the parents....
When I was a kid and playing at a friends house and we got a bit noisy, the old ones down stairs would bang their ceiling with a mop handle. Parent told us to keep it down...

The music one sucks because the others have to put up with the kids noise plus the crappy music selection you have made.... ones music is not to other's taste

haha I remember this well from my early years living in a Scottish tenement!! The mop/brush handle was a permanent fixture in Scottish living rooms simply for this purpose!! Worked as well, as soon as you "banged up", the noise would lessen and if you received a "banging up" then my parents were quick to quieten us down, usually with a clip round the ear! lol

Its a tough one, and sure you didn't sign up for it and it is a pain in the ass BUT kids ARE noisy. Parents could try and quieten them down but its never gonna be 100% effective. This is the unfortunate price that is paid when you live in Apartment blocks. Positive dialogue with the parents and a growing of a thicker more tolerant skin is prob the only way to go short of moving into a house.

people are quite often oblivious to whats going on around them here, so if you dont mention it to the parents at least once, how will they know they need to "try keeping" their kids quiet?

I live in a house surrounded by young kids from toddlers to jhs students who are often right outside my house kicking a soccer ball at 8pm at night. I can basically deal with noise from 9am-9pm, before or after that gets to me too.

speak with the parents and if things dont get better, loud stereo party

Same here. I can put up with the 2 young kids next door - they are noisy sometimes, but during daytime. I can imagine I am the noisier when it gets to nighttime and late night sports etc smile