Just picked up some Crowbar's at half off. They came with the G30 lens (the other choice was black iridium I think). G30 seems like it's an all around lens. I'm thinking of eventually picking up a few replacement lenses as well. Any recommendations for bright/blue bird days or night/over cast conditions?

Cheers

Nice goggles! Get a pair of High Intensity Yellow (over cast/ cloudy conditions) and either Fire Iridium (bright/blue bird conditions) or Black Iridium and you'll be set for whatever conditions you'll encounter on the hill. I've also used blue iridium in the past but they are all purpose lens as well. If you are thinking of picking up a few different lens get ones that are for specific conditions! The Oakley Japan website actually has a good chart to compare lens (I haven't been able to find anything similar on the English version websites)

G30 is probably one of the best all-around lens colors IMHO, but for brighter conditions, look for a black iridium (it's essentially the VR28 bronze color with the reflective iridium).

For night, clear, high-intensity blue (light yellow lens with faint blue reflective), or titanium clear (clear with faint silver reflective) - get whatever is on sale, since they all work about the same.

For low light daylight, you can still use the G30, but if you can find a VR50 that would be a little lighter.

FYI, the number (30, 28, 50, etc.) is the approximate percentage of light transmission, so the larger the number, the greater the level of light that the lens will pass, and the smaller the number the darker the lens.

Cool, thanks for the heads up everyone. Good to know about the G30 being good for all around. I think that the goggles w/ the G30 was about $15 USD more than the other choices, so I just assumed it was a little better or something. Glad that I ended up with it.

I'll keep my eyes peeled, maybe I'll get lucky and find some decent end of season deals on the other lens smile

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
if you are in japan and can read japanese you should really check out the rakuten website. i find the best deals there and a month ago got 2 new pairs of lens for my Oakley Wisdoms, both at 50% off.

Have you got a link for the rakuten site? thanks
Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
Thx for the heads up. But unfortunately I'm in Seattle, so I don't think the website works for me. To bad, 50% off is nice!

Dude - Oakley prices in Japan are so OTH it's not funny. The last time I was at Murasaki Sports in Sapporo, they had a set of Wisdoms for 22,000-yen MSRP ($220 USD!). At 50% off that price, I can get two sets of Wisdoms in The States on sale (probably have a little left for a clear lens too)!

www.rakuten.com

keyword ゴーグル OAKLEY

I agree that retail prices for these goggles are expensive in Japan but saying that you could buy two pairs in America for the price of one is a bit of an exageration. The stuff you will find on the rakuten website, especially this time of year, will be about 10,000Y for the wisdom goggles and spare lens coming in at about 7,000Y (just did a quick search). It's actually cheaper than the prices listed on the American Oakley website. But it really depends on where you are and when you need to buy them wink

Make sure not to accidently buy the Japan or Asian fit goggles as they tend to be a bit snug around the nose for most of us non-asians razz

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Make sure not to accidently buy the Japan or Asian fit goggles as they tend to be a bit snug around the nose for most of us non-asians razz

...unless you are in fact Asian! Or happen to have a small nose bridge.

I just looked too, and so as not to break any forum rules as to commercial promotion, I won't say which site, but:

Oakley Wisdom Gogles - $85-130 USD retail

I've seen them go as low as the forties on closeout. I just picked up some Crowbars with iridium lens for $62 USD.

Sweet deal man! I've never found anything made by Oakley that cheap and I look high and low where ever I go (internet included). Then again, crowbars tend to be cheaper than wisdoms so that might make a difference as well.

Has anyone tried out any of the polarized lens on offer?

BTW, the reason I brought up the J-fit thing is that a lot of websites don't specify whether the goggles are the international models or the Japan specific models.

I've heard mostly good things about the polarized lenses, of course the primary being reduction in glare on bright days (and therefore an increase in the apparent contrast). The only negative thing I've heard is the lens tint is on the dark side, so it is not so good for low-light conditions.

I have yet to try a set - I'm waiting to find one on sale! lol

I'd imagine it would be difficult to find the "non-J fit" ones in Japan - like how it's difficult to find the "Asian fit" ones in The States... All the ones I've seen in stores in Japan have been "Asian fit."

For some reason, them shades have always been expensive in Japan...

I don't know why.. It might be to do with the snob factor...

Ray-ban where the thing in the 70's if you weren't into the big Elton John glasses, and they were expensive....

I bought a pair of $20 yellow shooters' glasses at Wal-mart when I was in AZ.

• 1 month later...

Think I just scored a sweet deal. I got some Crowbar replacement lenses from sierrasnowboard.com for $20. Oakley lists the price as $80 on their website! smile

I was a bit uncertain, since I was looking for "Fire Iridium" but these were listed as just Fire on the website, as opposed to Fire Iridium. I figured for the price it was worth it. Just got them today and the Oakley packaging also calls them simply "Fire". Took them outta the box and they've got the rainbow mirrored thing going on so I think it's the iridium. And there doesn't seem to be a plain Fire on Oakley's website.

I wish I had looked earlier though, they had the HI Yellow listed but out of stock. Bummer. Still I'm really happy with the deal I got smile