I feel safer in a Asian city then what I would in an American or British one. That being said, you still have to be aware of your surroundings and not act stupid. I travel alone all of the time (but I am also a large male)

Be mindful of who you hook up with during your travels. Long story, short japan is safe.

I lived here quite a few years now and only very rarely have I felt unsafe. There have been high profile cases of bizarre things happening though (like that British girl the other year - did anything happen there?)

I would just apply sensible precautions and not be silly as you would anywhere and I'm sure you'll find it to be a wonderful place.

Hi there. My Japan trip will soon (well, quite soon) become a reality. Just one interesting point I'd like to ask people on here about. I will be travelling alone. I'm a Yorkshire lass, in my early 20's. I hear many times that Japan is a safe country, but whats the reality? Am I going to be amazed at how comfortable I feel travelling alone, or a bit scared at this new and strange (to me!) country and it's people?

Thanks for any advice!

As with any place, you should always be mindful of your immediate surroundings. I would say that in general it's quite safe, but there would be a greater chance of something "weird" happening in a large city rather than more rural areas.

I hope you enjoy your trip, PWL!

Originally Posted By: rach
I lived here quite a few years now and only very rarely have I felt unsafe. There have been high profile cases of bizarre things happening though (like that British girl the other year - did anything happen there?)

I would just apply sensible precautions and not be silly as you would anywhere and I'm sure you'll find it to be a wonderful place.

bugger all has happened on that front Rach, the inept coppers let the guy slip over the balcony and run away when they had the house "surrounded". Must be very frustrating for the girls family.

PWL you shouldn't have many probs, its safer than anyplace I've ever been. Take sensible precautions but you prob won't even need them!!

There was actually something on the news not too long ago. Can't remember the details but I remember the family being upset that it wasn't an active investigation any more. The Japanese guy was explaining to them that it was 'how we do things here and this is Japan, I'm sorry' and the family not being too pleased at hearing that.

I can't say I have heard of those stories but I suppose there will be the weird ones wherever you are. Growing up in the UK I'm used to taking care of myself here so I'll just apply the same carefulness I suppose like I would everywhere.

My g/f was traveling Japan alone when I met her. She had spent 4 months here before we met and she had had only good experiences. Just take the common sense precautions for personal safety.... enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I am Japanese and so I can't really comment about being here as traveler but I want to welcome you and feel you will enjoy time here. Other people I met who came here seemed to have only good experience.

wave

• 2 weeks later...