I can't help noticing from the weather forecasts that it is not uncommon for the highs (most resorts) to reach above-zero degrees these days.

Would that necessarily mean that the sun beats down on the snow in daytime and the sub-zero temperature freezing the snow in nighttime, resulting in sub-optimal snow conditions, unless there is new snow?

(That's what usually happens here in Korea and is a crucial barometer of the snow condition for me.)

Or, with the heavy snow precipitation in Japan, are the effects of above-zero degree temperature minimal?

Would that necessarily mean that the sun beats down on the snow in daytime and the sub-zero temperature freezing the snow in nighttime, resulting in sub-optimal snow conditions, unless there is new snow?

snowzzang----Yes, it applies everywhere. In a typical spring morning, snow gets icy and in the daytime getting soft and slushy, sometimes becomming like mashed potato. I think this period stays longer than Korea because Japan in general has more snow depth so it takes longer for the snow to melt completely. Many people inclusive of me love spring snow as much as good snow.