Guys!

This upcoming season I plan to Sboard in 3 "culture zones" on this beautiful spot in the universe: Europe (CH), the US (Lake Tahoe) and JAPAN (from Xmas on). Now, as I live in Switzerland I guess I'm quite spoiled in terms of on/off slope Sboarding, so I wanted to make sure to pick the right places on this 2 week trip to the Far East.

Knowing Japan from Tokyo southwards on only, I thought this forum is the place to be and ask what the 2 or 3 hot spots are and where one can stay for "reasonable" prices. The sheer choice displayed on this site is quite overwhelming and I therefore depend on you, the experts. So let me know. Cheers!

O.

In my opinion there are 3 places to look into.

1. Hakuba Valley: Nagano Prefecture.

This area has everything from 'Park only' to Powder to multi-lift passes, it is accessable by Shinkansen from Tokyo (to Nagano then bus to Hakuba) and many of the SJF readers go there.

2. Yuzawa Region: Niigata Prefecture.

As above except I found there to be less boarders and apart from Naeba, the terrain isn't as challenging as the Hakuba Region. Shinkansen to Echigo-Yuzawa then bus to resort.

3. Niseko Region: Hokkaido.

Most Gaijin there, best powder although it came early this year, not as steep as the above 2 but when it snow you know all about it. You have to fly in from another city as it takes to long by train.

to everyone else..please expand as im sure there are other places and things to be said about these areas..

Myoko has lots of steep BC. You need the gear if you want to ride there. Aout 1500 feet of tree lined chutes if you know where to look.

Japan at Xmas is nice but its still early season, so stick to the higher resorts.

oliverH - its pretty much guaranteed that some people will be in the main pages around then - just a bit early to get people to confirm things 100% right now. Stay tuned a couple more months....

Very cool! I now can have a closer look at the maps and some places to stay at. \:\)

Does anyone plan to play in the snow in one of the mentioned resorts between the 28th/Dec. and the 9th/Jan.? Would be cool to meet up with some people who know the place(s).

Bounce!

I have ridden 8 resorts in Nagano and Niigata - and if I had 2 weeks to spend somewhere - it would be Nozawa Onsen, Arai, Myoko Kogen, Kijimadaira, Togari Onsen, with Nozawa firmly at the top of that list.

• 4 weeks later...

Togari sucks. spend your money on somewhere else. And just my humble 2c but skiing in Nagano around Christmas kicks ass. I spent the last 3 Christmases at Nozawa and I got massive dumps of bottomless powder and even better no punters there to get it. It was me mine MY, this last christmas I had to wait until boxing day but I reckon if you book it then the powder will come.

As Neversummer puts it, further you go, costs more on transportation. Hokkaido being the most expensive (you have to fly, then take a bus) and Niigata the cheapest.

Accomodation is about the same for all regions JPY7000 and up w/ two meals and Hokkaido lift tickets being the most expensive.

My personal opinion is if for a week or more, I recommend either Hakuba or Hokkaido. They offer more in "value" than just money it costs.