Was Japan your first snowboard/ski experience?

Do you like this poll?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

It was mine. Originally in Tokyo so I visited places in Yuzawa and Gunma, then moved up to Morioka so I have a few places round here too.

Curious to know if many people first tried it out here or not?

Yes for me...despite living in Aus.

We had always discussed it, but I was concerned about taking a family of n00bs to the snow without me and Papa having ANY knowledge at all. Cub1 and Cub2 had gone on ski trips with school, so that made it even more scary that they would be off and away and we couldnt look after them.

All changed now.

Family of 6 all snowboarding at least 2 holidays a year.

Thanks Japan!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Skied in Aus, NZ, Canada, Bolivia and India before skiing in Japan in 03/04.

So I guess that China trip won't be your first experience with high altitude then, gn....
Originally Posted By: ger
Jynxx is old. razz

You're not kidding!
When Jynxx was learning to ski my Mother was 16 yrs old!!! veryshocked
And I am no spring chicken.
thumbsup Good on ya Jynxx - glad to see the more mature of us on the slopes still.

In 1961, I was only a naughty thought!

thursday has to go and bump the "oyaji" thread from a few years back so Jynxx can get on it!

BTW, on topic, my first (and only) ski was in Niseko, and my first snowboard was at Kiroro.

The Lecht in Scotland for me!

Not as glamorous as the others bandied about here, but have also been to Glenshee and Glencoe in Scotland, a few places in Japan and the 3 Valleys in France

No, first time on skis was 1997 aged 49! GF convinced me I should try it (she's been skiing for 30+ years!) at Perisher Blue for a long weekend.

Since then, Mt Hutt, Remarks, (tried Cardrona, but couldn't see more than a couple of feet in front of you and I am not keen on that sort of death wish) Falls Creek (x4), Niseko (x2), Furano, NozawaOnsen.

Looking forward to more (and to using the "olds" tix more regularly)

Originally Posted By: JA
No, first time on skis was 1997 aged 49! GF convinced me I should try it (she's been skiing for 30+ years!) at Perisher Blue for a long weekend.

49! Well done!
Were you stubborn or did you just go for it?

Actully, as an "old" motorbike rider, I found the weight transfer to the OUTside foot to be a problem. I kept wanting to lean INTO the turn. In the end +1 (then GF) told me to forget the bike, try what she was saying because it works. I gave it a go and have been hooked!

Dunno about stubborn, more stupid! wink