Well yes of course I understand that. In my case I am lucky in that I can often choose when I go.

In that situation, awesome snow conditions on a bright sunny day when I can take my photos vs the same snow conditions during a blizzard with zero visibility?

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Even without the photos though, the last few times I have been out in a blizzard I haven't particularly enjoyed it so I decided not to bother any more.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this snow will also hopefully mean decent conditions - or at least cover - for a fairly long season.

I remember that made snow 4/5 years ago though. After January it pretty much dried up then and it ended up quickly melting.

I love the powder thats everywhere but don't enjoy the white out. Sometimes its very hard to see the lay of the land and you almost end up with your knees through your jaw when you hit a hump!!

Saying that I'll take it if that means a day in beautiful powder snow!! smile

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
No, there are quite a lot. In this region anyway.
Last year there were more of them than there were snowy ones.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing. I thought you meant blue skies after an overnight dump. In my experience they are extremely rare in Japan. I can only recall one in Hakuba last season.

They're everyone's favourite but there aren't lots of them in Japan unless you define "lots" as "one or two per season".

A look at your Yuzawa link for January 2008 shows 3 fine weather days, none with any fresh snow. Er, yeah lots...

Tell you what tripler, you just believe what you have decided to believe and I'll just get out there and enjoy them when they happen. Feel free to enjoy looking at the photos I post from some of those days as well if you want.

wave