• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess would be that Nozawa is still "ailing" as the article says. Becoming more family oriented isn't a bad idea, though skis, ski wear, and ski lessons for your kids all quickly add up. A lot of folk simply can't afford it. If they are just going for the kids, there are cheaper places that are closer to Tokyo than Nozawa.

The other stumbling block with families is that Japanese urban mothers are a hard group to satisfy. Lots of them don't like the cold to start with.

The numbers for this season in Hakuba to 3/31 were in the Ooito Times last week. Year on year, December up 18%, January down 2%, February down 15%, and March down 15%. Overall, down 6%. Goryu beat Happo slightly at around 350,000 so far. Iwatake got 150,000. 47 just under 100,000 so far. The total for the seven resorts was one million and twenty thousand.

You are probably right Mr Wiggles, though the name/brand of Nozawa does have some pull. It's one of those places where people who don't ski come even in winter for the onsen etc.

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
You are probably right Mr Wiggles, though the name/brand of Nozawa does have some pull. It's one of those places where people who don't ski come even in winter for the onsen etc.

Interesting discussion.
My first Japanese resort was Nozawa, was taken by friends. Those friends still go there every year at least once in winter and also summer. It does have an appeal with a lot of people, even for people who don't ski. Obviously that's not going to do much good for the ski resort!
I also try to go back there and often have problems booking places on the weekends if I don't do it in advance enough.
I'm sure glad there isn't a big Prince plonked down in the valley!
  • 2 weeks later...

Just one number to nibble on. Friend of mine has a lodge near Ishiuchi - said that the numbers for Ishiuchi Maruyama were about 20% down on the previous season. That is a big drop. The lack of deep snow and hence shorter season sure didn't help.

Apparently, this is from a friend in Yuzawa, Friday was the last day of work for over 50% of the Naeba Prince staff - either taking voluntary redundancy or moved to another Prince.

End of an era ... I wouldn't have imagined it coming.

but then Naeba was all about being cool, and something got lost there ...

I wonder it just doesn't appeal to the Japanese market anymore.

For one thing, it's not a core snowboard place. No onsen ...

and it doesn't look pretty with all those villas..

Maybe if they wait long enough it (and a number of other ski towns) will just become really retro and cool looking again (bit like Moji in Fukuoka-ken). Just have to hope things don't go completely down the toilet between now and then.

Can't imagine some of the run down 70's buildings ever looking retro cool again! But I share the hope that these communities and resorts don't go the toilet way.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
End of an era ... I wouldn't have imagined it coming.
but then Naeba was all about being cool, and something got lost there ...
I wonder it just doesn't appeal to the Japanese market anymore.
For one thing, it's not a core snowboard place. No onsen ...
and it doesn't look pretty with all those villas..

there are a couple of onsen in Naeba

there are 2 in town that I know of, the one closer to the smaller Naeba ski field is the best IMO, its bigger and less crowded. Don't know its name. The Prince hotel also has a rotenburo