In the Niigata newspaper today - seems that the Naeba Prince hotel resort will from this year only be open in the summer and winter months. (Until now it has been open all year round). Basically this is because not many people are staying at other times and they need to cut costs. Full time staff will be redirected to Karuizawa and Hakone Prince hotels (and anyone wanting to retire early will be encouraged to - or something like that).

Summer season (hotel): 20th July - end of August

Winter season (hotel): early December until Golden Week

(They'll still operate the gondola for koyo in autumn).

Skijo:

During peak time, 3,001,800 people visiting in a season

Last season - 1,275,000 people

ã ãã†ã§ã™ã€‚

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Skijo:
During peak time, 3,001,8000 people visiting in a season

Is there an extra zero there?
That is a big drop even removing the 0.

Yes they seem to be shedding hotels and skijo all over the place.

Hakkai-san near me is still a Prince skijo, but it is never that busy (or never seems to be) and so I worry about that place.

They've been trying to offload Suginohara for years. Some locals I spoke to are worried they might eventually just close it down. They got rid of the Prince Nojiriko about 18 months ago and they used to shuttle visitors between Sugi and the hotel.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
In the Niigata newspaper today - seems that the Naeba Prince hotel resort will from this year only be open in the summer and winter months. (Until now it has been open all year round). Basically this is because not many people are staying at other times and they need to cut costs. Full time staff will be redirected to Karuizawa and Hakone Prince hotels (and anyone wanting to retire early will be encouraged to - or something like that).

Summer season (hotel): 20th July - end of August
Winter season (hotel): early December until Golden Week
(They'll still operate the gondola for koyo in autumn).

Skijo:
During peak time, 3,001,800 people visiting in a season

ã ãã†ã§ã™ã€‚

Not sure when the 3 million came from - this must have been many years ago. Probably going back to early nineties.
Quote:
Not sure when the 3 million came from - this must have been many years ago. Probably going back to early nineties.

Oh yes definitely. I would guess late 80's/early 90's.

Could even be the late 70's... Naeba originally rose to fame hosting the world cup.

Hans Hinterseer became famous there as I recall it.

Other than skiing, people went to Naeba Prince for tennis. There was a tennis boom in Japan around that time.

Some other details:

The skijo will have a shortened season next year - until early April rather than early May.

The golf course also won't be open this summer.

2009年度ã®å–¶æ¥­æœŸé–“を下記ã®é€šã‚Šã”案内ã„ãŸã—ã¾ã™ã€‚

1.苗場プリンスホテル

å¤æœŸå–¶æ¥­ã€€2009å¹´7月16日(木)~2009å¹´8月30日(日)宿泊ã¾ã§

※7/16~7/26宿泊ã¯ã€å›£ä½“貸切営業

冬期営業 2009å¹´12月4日(金)~2010å¹´5月4日(ç«ï¼‰å®¿æ³Šã¾ã§

2.苗場スキー場

紅葉営業 2009å¹´10月3日(土)~2009å¹´11月8日(日)ã¾ã§

※苗場ï¼ç”°ä»£ã‚´ãƒ³ãƒ‰ãƒ©

冬期営業 2009年12月5日(土)~2010年4月上旬

3.ã‹ãらスキー場

紅葉営業 2009å¹´10月3日(土)~2009å¹´11月8日(日)ã¾ã§

※田代ロープウェー

冬期営業 2009å¹´11月21日(土)~2010å¹´5月下旬ã¾ã§

4.苗場プリンスホテルゴルフコース

営業休止

Naeba seems to have been gradually cutting down on services for quite a few years now. Doesn't leave a good impression, though it's an inevitable downward spiral I suppose.

Had a look. Minimum price is 30,000 Yen for a base ILDK. Maintenance per month is like 1,0000~12000 Yen. But you have to pay the Strata account that the previous owner has been paying into and that depends on the apartment. I assume this is the back maintenance stemik is talking about.

Have a friend who owned one. 2LDK. It was expensive when it came out. Looks like people want out. So Naeba itself is scaling down. I didn't know about the golf corse. Maybe this is the big factor.

I presume these are in some of the huge mansion type buildings?

Even with low low prices, doesn't sound enticing at all.

I'm sure it would for some people though.