Learning new stuff on my computer (new to Photoshop)

I recently got Photoshop (CS4) for my computer and have spent a lot of time the last 3 weeks learning how to use it. Still very beginner-like but I have learnt a lot and I am getting really into it. Layers are fun.

The problem with things like this is that you need to devote so much time to it and I find it difficult finding that time.

Worth the effort though!

HI BJ I have also just got Adobe Photoshop and am going through the learning process. I had spent weeks using the Magic Extractor when I found the magic eraser tool which was better and heaps easier.

I am considering going and take a crash course on it.

Trouble is, by the time you learn the stuff, they'll have a new version with more stuff to learn. Never ending thing, this software learning!

I know what you mean. I would love to be able to devote lots of time to learning things like that and other hobbies. Alas, not really in a position to be able to do that right now, but sometime hopefully before I'm too crusty!

There are probably free online photoshop courses you can take.

Personally i prefer Fireworks: I'm just used to the interface. One day it may get cut though as Adobe owns it now and it is pretty similar to photoshop.

Too true. BUT, whe =n the hours are done (assuming it ain't a fulltime course that someone else is paying for!) the new version will be out and you'll have to start again - admittedly starting from a fairly high base - but it is a never ending learning curve.

Well if you are using CS4, thats the latest and hasn't been out all that long. It will be well over a year before the next one is out. And even then you really really won't need to upgrade. So I reckon you are good timing for lets learning za Photoshop there brit-gob. Gambatte!

• 2 weeks later...

That lift is groovy.

I have spent the last few years learning --- very very very slowly --- Photoshop. I think I'm about 5% there now. Always great when you discover something new though. It's like a doh moment when you just regret not sitting down and reading it up before.